add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

AMD 2600x Build Opinion needed

arayas

9 months ago

Build list: PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor €244.66
Motherboard Asus - ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard €136.27
Memory G.Skill - Ripjaws 4 Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory €147.74
Storage Crucial - MX500 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive €78.49
Video Card Sapphire - Radeon RX 570 4 GB NITRO+ Video Card €183.49
Case Aerocool - QUARTZ RGB ATX Mid Tower Case €67.59
Power Supply BitFenix - Whisper M 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply €97.54
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total €955.78
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-12-17 17:30 CET+0100

PC is going to be used for normal use (browsing, Excel,...) and gaming on 1080p 144Hz monitor.

Question 1: What motherboard should I pick? Is the one I choosed good enough? I would like to see that MoBo is good enough so CPU more or less can work to the full potential (so I can take advantage of Precision Boost 2, XFR or whatever is this thing called, it has good VRM + VRM cooling,...). Is there some other MoBo that can give me all this things for less money?

Question 2: Is choosen case good enough? Note: I am not intending to buy RGB version but Blue one (link: https://www.aerocool.com.tw/en/chssis/pgs-b/quartz-blue) but didnt find Aerocool Quartz Blue on PcPartPicker case list so I just clicked on RGB version of same case. I am looking for case with decent airflow so CPU and GPU can cool normally. Reason why I choosed this case is because of look but cant find much reviews about it. Anyone can tell me if case is good enough?

Question 3: Is this build good enough for gaming on 1080p@144FPS? I have no problem having graphic settings on medium or even low, I am used to this xD Or should I go for RX580? Also I am okay with having 100FPS+, no need for 144FPS+ and no need to reach 100FPS+ in every title.

Comments

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

Question 1: What motherboard should I pick? Is the one I choosed good enough? I would like to see that MoBo is good enough so CPU more or less can work to the full potential (so I can take advantage of Precision Boost 2, XFR or whatever is this thing called, it has good VRM + VRM cooling,...). Is there some other MoBo that can give me all this things for less money?

The Asus ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING is a good board.

Cheaper alternatives:

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B07G2N5SST/?tag=pcp05-21

https://www.alza.de/msi-b450-tomahawk-d5372847.htm?o=1

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B07FNKGZPM/?tag=pcp05-21

Question 2: Is choosen case good enough? Note: I am not intending to buy RGB version but Blue one (link: https://www.aerocool.com.tw/en/chssis/pgs-b/quartz-blue) but didnt find Aerocool Quartz Blue on PcPartPicker case list so I just clicked on RGB version of same case. I am looking for case with decent airflow so CPU and GPU can cool normally. Reason why I choosed this case is because of look but cant find much reviews about it. Anyone can tell me if case is good enough?

For what it offers, that Case seems to be decent.

Aerocool Quartz RGB Review

Question 3: Is this build good enough for gaming on 1080p@144FPS? I have no problem having graphic settings on medium or even low, I am used to this xD Or should I go for RX580? Also I am okay with having 100FPS+, no need for 144FPS+ and no need to reach 100FPS+ in every title.

You could get the RX 580 and a cheaper board for not getting over you available budget.

So something like this below:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor €212.90 @ Alternate
Motherboard MSI - B450 Gaming Plus ATX AM4 Motherboard €99.00 @ Amazon Deutschland
Memory Patriot - Viper 4 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory €141.99 @ Amazon Deutschland
Storage Crucial - MX500 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive €68.00 @ Amazon Deutschland
Video Card XFX - Radeon RX 580 8 GB GTS XXX ED Video Card €197.99 @ Mindfactory
Case Aerocool - QUARTZ RGB ATX Mid Tower Case €67.59
Power Supply BitFenix - Whisper M 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply €89.90 @ Caseking
Total €877.37
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-12-17 21:06 CET+0100
  • 9 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you for your help.

Going with MoBo MSI B450 Gaming Plus I could save around 24€ but doesnt have wifi on which I need and with Tomahawk or Aorus Pro I would save 8-10€.

Difference between BitFenix Whisper M 650W and 550W is only 4€ so this is why I picked 650W over 550W.

Sadly 2 cheapest RX 580 are: PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
Video Card Sapphire - Radeon RX 580 4 GB PULSE Video Card €239.13
Total €239.13
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-12-17 22:51 CET+0100

and PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
Video Card Sapphire - Radeon RX 580 4 GB NITRO+ Video Card €255.81
Total €255.81
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-12-17 22:49 CET+0100

Bit pricey comparing it to RX 570 that would cost me around 183€.

Thank you for help. Till the morning I will think about which GPU and MoBo I will buy and then order it. About the case I decided to go with Aerocool Quartz, I dont know how I missed that review but thank you for linking it to me :)

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

Also what are some other good PSU options?

I know for Seasonic Focus and Evga g2/g3 but this are more expensive comparing to BitFenix Whisper M. I just cant remember which models from Corsair are good… Are CX550M/650M and TX550M/650M good alternatives? I guess johnnyguru will give me answers :)

CX550M … 74€

CX650M … 91€

TX550M … 86€

One more question. RAM doesnt matter right? I remember Ryzen 1000 series having problems with RAM speeds (frequencies or how is called, I forgot) and with timings. Do you know if this is fixed now with 2000 series?

Meanwhile I go google little bit to try to find answers on my own questions :P

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

Seasonic Focus and Evga g2/g3 but this are more expensive comparing to BitFenix Whisper M.

whisper m is better than both, it comes from the same model as the RMx 2018

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

Do you know if this is fixed now with 2000 series?

Some modules may still not work at the highest speed possible if overclocked.

Also what are some other good PSU options?

The Whisper M is a good PSU. It's even fully modular. :)

EVGA G2 , G3 are also very good PSU units.

And the latest SeaSonic power supplies are excellent too.

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

why not the 2600

even if you enable auto OC with xfr2, it tends to heavily overestimate the voltage required so you still need to do some tweaking

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

Because with 2600x you get better CPU cooler. Is CPU cooler that comes with Ryzen 5 2600 good enough if I OC 2600? Or will I have to buy another CPU cooler?

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

Definitely not worth the extra money you have to spend on the 2600x. A CRYORIG m9a is good enough for an oc'd 2600, which can't go above 4.2/4.3ghz anyway because of the voltage wall.

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

Going with 2600 + Cryorig M9a would save me 40€ over 2600X which looks good. I will gogle little bit to see difference between 2600 OC and 2600X and try to decide which one to go with.

Thank you for suggestion. :)

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

I'd expect to be able to OC an average 2600X just a little higher than an average 2600, thanks to the binning, but not enough to matter a whole lot. The 2600X is best if you don't care to fool around with it. If you're going to OC by hand with a decent add-on cooler (and the m9a is pretty good for its price), with the current price difference the 2600 is probably a better value.

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

Would you say that cryorig m9a is good enough to cool 2600@4.1GHz/4.2GHz?

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point
  1. The motherboard you've picked is fine, but a cheaper alternative would be equally as good. The difference is, it may not have all the features you want. Everything you want is offered by every B450, because they're all standard features. What you should be looking out for are features YOU want. E.g. Do you want RGB? Do you want an Intel Gigabit LAN port (Intel is better) or will Realtek be fine? Do you want four RAM slots or will two be okay? M.2 slots? PCIe lane distribution, etc etc. These are the things that differ and you should pick something that suits you best. If you want to cut budget, look at Gigabyte B450 DS3H and ASRock B450 Pro4. These are basic budget motherboards that will do just fine with the 2600X, but still offer relatively decent features.

2. It's good enough. You won't have heat issues. Alternatively, you can take a look at Cooler Master MB500, which is roughly the same price and I know this is great in quality, plenty of reviews suggest this too.

3. Ryzen CPUs won't hit 144 FPS in AAA games, but is more than enough for e-sports games. Now, that's for high detail, at medium or low that you're asking, I would think that isn't a problem, but I'm not sure. 100 FPS isn't an issue for sure at lower settings. The XFX RX 580 8 GB at €198 suggested above is the deal. It's a good price if you can get it. Don't consider the 4 GB version at all. If you think the RX 580 8 GB is too expensive, get the RX 570 8 GB, again, don't get the 4 GB, you'll suffer in performance very soon with the 4 GB versions. I just checked both though, the cheapest RX 570 8 GB listed on PCPartpicker is €183, so it's only €15 cheaper. I would definitely get the RX 580 with this little difference, because the RX 570 is about 10% - 15% slower in performance.

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point
  1. I assume that every B450 MoBo then has features I need. RGB would be nice but it is not that important to me, I will use 2 RAM slots (2x8GB) and will not need more RAM in future. M.2 is probably nice to have because of SSD but I am buying SSD with SATA cable so m.2 doesnt matter that much I guess. PCIe lane distribution… if I would know what are PCIe lanes for xD Good wifi would be nice because I play MMORPG games so I guess Intel Gigabit LAN is way to go.

2. Then I will just go with Aerocool Quartz Blue.

3. I dont even play that much new games. I like to play MMORPG/MMO games like Tera, Guild Wars 2,... Here and there would play bit of some shooters but only single player.

I dont live in Germany and I wont buy from Germany so prices for me are bit higher. Cheapest RX 580 8GB would be MSI Radeon RX 580 Armor 8G OC, 8GB GDDR5 that cost 258€ but I heard bad things about this card. Next cheapest one would be XFX Radeon RX 580 GTS XXX Edition, 8GB GDDR5 that cost 275€. And at that point I could just go for RX590 8GB which cost 290€ (XFX RX 590 FATBOY 8192MB).

Cheapest RX 570 8GB would be 203€ (MSI Radeon RX570 ARMOR 8G OC 8192MB...I heard bad things about ARMOR cards) and next cheapest one would be XFX RX 570 RS XXX Edition 8GB DDR5 fo 231€.

Why not consider 4GB? Because of new coming games that will start using more than 4GB of VRAM? Most of the time on games I will spend playing Tera, maybe I start playing some other MMORPG like Guild Wars 2, here and there some shooter game single player like Battlefield 1 for fun (even if I get only 60FPS I am okay with it).

You still think I should go for 8GB Vram card?

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

Those are all games that don't use much VRAM, only get 8gb version if you're contemplating playing some very VRAM heavy games like GTA V, BO4, etc.

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

okay. Thank you for info. I guess I will go with 4GB Vram GPU. This would be probably enough also for newer MMORPG like Black Desert Online and Bless online on low-medium graphic setings?

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

both games are extremely VRAM easy

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point
  1. Yes, they will all have the features you've mentioned above. If you're just getting a SATA SSD, just get the regular 2.5" ones rather than the M.2 ones. They're exactly the same in performance, but the M.2 versions tend to be slightly more expensive. If you're just using one GPU and go with a 2.5" SSD, how the PCIe lanes work won't make a difference for you. The problems only start occurring when you have to share PCIe bandwidth, which you don't, but I was just mentioning it so you knew what "better" motherboards offered. Just use an external wifi adapter if you're playing with wifi, or if you're using an ethernet cable, then yes, get a motherboard with Intel Gigabit LAN.

2. That's okay, cases are personal, so as long as you're okay with it, get it.

3. Easy, you won't get issues with them, I would even consider getting the 2600 for cheaper, because that will be good enough already.

Those are some inflated prices, definitely not the deal, and yeah, the RX 590 makes more sense then. Armor GPUs have had a lot of flak on them, with the major issue being temperature, but don't worry about it too much. If your room isn't overly warm and you have sufficient airflow from your case, they don't have issues.

What are the prices for the 4 GB variants of the RX 580 and RX 570, just to compare? Yes, those games don't need a lot of VRAM, but the problem is looking forward. 4 GB is barely sufficient these days, considering a lot of applications and programs are GPU accelerated now. The difference is usually too small from the 4 GB to 8 GB for the 4 GB to make sense. Without prices, it's hard to say.

I'll take where I am for example, the cheapest RX 580 4 GB and the cheapest RX 580 8 GB is only £20 different, it makes absolutely no sense to buy the 4 GB. The RX 570 is £30 different, again, the 4 GB makes no sense. Even if I was on a budget, I would scrounge for that £20 - £30 to get the 8 GB, simply because it gives you more longevity. In the US, RX 580 8 GB are actually cheaper due to sales and rebates and RX 570 is $5 different. That's why I've been assuming the difference is too little for the 4 GB to be considered. If where you are, the 4 GB is like €100 cheaper, and since you don't need 8 GB VRAM, yeah, get 4 GB, definitely. Prices determine everything.

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

Looks like I missunderstood what Intel Gigabit LAN is xD I wont use ethernet cable , I will use wifi. Any recommendation for wifi adapter, is this good one? https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GC-WB1733D-I-rev-10#ov It cost 28€. Doesnt Asus B450-F already come with WiFi or am I wrong?

If I go with 2600 what would be good CPU cooler so I can OC 2600 to 4.1-4.2GHz? Would be previous mentioned Cryorig m9a good enough? Also are Ryzen 2600 chips in general good at hitting 4.1-4.2GHz mark? I know it depends on silicon lottery but I am just wondering if chances for 2600 to hit 4.1-4.2 are high? :)

RX580/570 prices in my country are: Cheapest RX580 8GB vs 4GB is 258€ vs 239€ (19€ difference). Cheapest RX570 8GB vs 4GB is 203€ vs 184€ (19€ difference).

Both chepaest 8GB versions are ARMOR but I guess it still should be okay. It can get warm in my room but I assume I should be okay. Also if we ignoe ARMOR cards then next cheapest RX570 8GB would cost 231€ and RX580 8GB 276€ which I wont even consider buying.

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm not that well informed on wifi adapters, so it's best you read reviews or ask someone else who has more knowledge on it. I just quickly checked the specifications page on ASUS, it doesn't seem like that motherboard has wifi.

With the 2600, a budget six-heat pipe cooler can do it. Check the prices of Scythe FUMA, Mugen 5 Rev.B and Cooler Master MA620P. I would definitely choose any of these three over the M9A. As far as I'm aware, 4.0 GHz can be reached without issues and all the reviews I've seen so far have said they've managed, so unless you're really unlucky on the silicon lottery and get a bad CPU, you'll get this. Keep in mind overclock numbers are not guaranteed by the manufacturer, so it's not like you can send it back as a "fault." 4.1 GHz should be reachable, this is slightly more silicon lottery dependent, but 4.2 GHz is really pushing it and I wouldn't even try. The issue with Ryzen CPUs not overclocking that well is because of the CPU itself, not heat, not voltage, nothing external at all. Even if your CPU can get 4.2 GHz, it starts to consume a lot more power and produces a lot more heat than 4.0 GHz. Just check what results you can get. I would stick with 4.0 GHz, but if you can get 4.1 GHz with the same voltage and the temperatures aren't that much different, then 4.1 GHz is fine. The difference between 4.0 GHz and 4.2 GHz isn't noticeable, so don't worry about it, because you won't notice the difference outside of benchmark numbers and side by side comparisons. 4.0 GHz will definitely be cooler, quieter, less power consuming and potentially more longevity due to requiring less voltage being fed to it. To put it into perspective, 200 MHz out of 4.0 GHz is 5%, so if you were getting 100 FPS with 4.0 GHz, theoretically, 4.2 GHz will give you 105 FPS, but, numbers don't translate directly into performance like that, 4.2 GHz will probably give you 102 FPS or 103 FPS at best in the real world. If you're telling me you notice the difference in 2 FPS when FPS keeps going up and down on a moving screen, there are two possibilities, you're either lying or you've got Superman eyes. xD That's why I would stick with the safe 4.0 GHz and be done with it, because this is well tested and known to be safe, stable and without issues.

With those GPU prices, definitely get the 8 GB. €19 is not worth saving in that regard. Armor GPUs have their issues, but it's really not as bad as reviews make it. I remember there being an Armor GPU on sale before, it was an insanely good deal and within two days, they were all out, so it really shows at consumer use, they don't have issues. If you're overclocking it or doing stress tests for benchmarks, then yes, these issues will show, but remember, these are not regular consumer uses. The average gamer doesn't drive their GPU like that. If your room gets warm, that's more the reason why you need a good airflow case, so the warm air isn't trapped inside. RX 570 or RX 580 is up to you though, there's a good €55 difference, so it's your call. On a price to performance basis, the RX 570 is actually a better deal. The RX 580 is about 10% faster give or take, but it's cost 25% more money, making the RX 570 a better deal. This is why I said it depends on price. Above I suggested RX 580 because I took the prices from the list which is €15 different, making it less than 10% increase in price for 10% increase in performance, but in your case, this is the opposite, so the RX 570 is better in value.

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

Fuma is not available, Mugen Rev. B is 49€ but is out of stock, MA620P is 88€ so none of this options are good. 2600 is 63€ cheaper than 2600X and buying 2600 + MA620P wouldnt make sense at all. 2600 + Mugen Rev B would make sense but I still rather pay 14€ more and get 2600X so I dont need to bother with OCing and also I dont want to wait for Mugen Rev B to come back to stock because it is out of stock for very long time already and I want to buy PC really soon (today :P).

I was looking on this site: https://www.anandtech.com/show/13091/analyzing-b450-for-amd-ryzen-a-quick-look-at-all-the-motherboards/22 and somehow read that ASUS B450-F has WiFi but I just realised it was about having Intel Gigabit Lan. Looks like there are two B450 ATX MoBos with wifi: GIGABYTE B450 Aorus Pro WiFi and MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC. Both MoBos are good if I did my research correctly but are their WiFi good or is it still better to buy wifi adapter?

RX580 8GB is bit pricey :/ For some reason I would rather have RX580 4GB than RX570 8GB...Somehow I doubt I Will make use of more VRAM considering games I play. Need to think about this one.

Will also have to look if there is any other good CPU cooler that is on cheaper side or I Will just go with 2600X and also need to look for how good are WiFis on Aorus Pro and Gaming Pro Carbon.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube