add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

First build. Few questions.

nitz26

13 months ago

Hi guys. Been a PC gamer for over 20 years and finally looking to build my first PC. I've done some research and watched a bunch of YouTube videos but I've still got some quick questions I'd appreciate some answers to.

Firstly here's a rough build I've thrown together. Ideally lowering the cost would be nice, although I am willing to spend about this much if necessary. I mostly play SC2, Fortnite , COD BO4- 90% Blackout mode. I'd like this build to be pretty future proof as I don't see myself wanting to upgrade any components for a while although maybe throwing in a lower end GPU for now and upgrade in a few years?

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/2VVBdX

Questions:

1. This case max GPU size is 315mm and the card I have selected is 314mm. Is this cutting it too close? I know in PcPartPicker it shows everything as compatible but also notes that exact sizes of some components may not fit.

2. I don't plan on overclocking. Does the CPU/GPU I have here even make sense for me or should I be looking at slightly lower-end options?

3. Will I see the benefits of an M.2 SSD over a SATA?

4. Windows- Since there is no optical drive I know I'll need a USB drive to boot and install. Is buying this OEM version from Newegg (the one on my list here) the way to go or is there cheaper or different options if I don't need a disc?

Thanks for taking the time to read , and I really appreciate any feedback anyone has!

Comments

• 13 months ago
  • 2 points

The question I'd ask is what resolution monitor you plan on using. At 1080p you can save some money by dropping to the 2070 (or even a 1070), at 1440p with fancy settings maybe stick to the 2080. The 8700K is a good high fps gaming CPU, a big price jump over the Ryzen 2600 but it's 10-20% faster. If you're willing to take that price jump then maybe you should consider another $50 and go with the 9700K and a Z390 motherboard, which will give you another increment of performance without a whole lot extra cost. The Hyper 212 is OK to run an 8700K stock but I'd suggest a bit more cooler, a Cryorig H7 performs better and is only a little bit more. The 970 EVO NVMe drive is fast but you're paying a $100 premium over a very good Crucial MX500, and you are unlikely to notice the difference. The rest of the parts look good to me.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

Hey, thanks. Ya recently bought a 1080P monitor so likely to stick with it for a while. Starting to think the list I've made is overkill.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

It's way overkill for 1080p. Get a 1070ti instead.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

Looking at the price and reviews of both cards you don't think spending a little more for a 2070 isn't worth it? Lowest cost 1070ti is roughly $145 less than lowest 2070 and there are quite a few 1070ti's that are more than some 2070s...is there a specific 1070ti that you would recommend ? thanks. Basically I'm asking if a low end 2070 has more value then a mid range (cost wise) 1070ti.

• 13 months ago
  • 2 points

Whoops, I thought you had a 1080p 60hz monitor which even a 1070ti is overkill at, but the 2070 is definitely worth it at 144hz.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

my bad , didnt give enough details in original post. thanks

• 13 months ago
  • 2 points

What resolution at what FPS with what details are you playing these games?

Anything in the 100 FPS or below at 1080p, high detail, I'd go with Ryzen. If you want 120+ FPS, Intel for sure, but get the 9900K. There's no point getting the 8700K, which is a premium as it is, and get something that is almost the best, but not the best. The 9900K is $200 more, but will most likely have two more years of longevity ahead of it than the 8700K. When you're looking for "future proof," 9900K over the 8700K for sure.

Furthermore, if you don't intend to overclock, I just wouldn't bother with Intel CPUs in general. Their value only show in overclocking, because without it, you're looking at a few hundred MHz difference compared to a Ryzen CPU, which is minimal in performance, but they're costing a lot more in price. In numbers, 2700X, all-core boost is 4.0 GHz, single-core boost is 4.3 GHz, costs $425 (no aftermarket cooler needed). 8700K, all-core turbo is 4.3 GHz, single-core turbo is 4.7 GHz, costs $479 + cooler cost. 9900K, all-core turbo is 4.7 GHz, single-core turbo is 5.0 GHz, costs $680 + cooler cost. So yeah, you're paying A LOT more for minimal performance increases if you're not overclocking. IPC, CMOS, etc etc can all be ignored for now, they're barely a factor for the CPUs discussed here.

1. It should be fine, the clearance usually has more room than it says, at least for cases I've seen anyway.

2. Without overclocking, definitely not, I'd get a Ryzen. GPU, depends on your demands, but I think a 2070 would suffice, and it's half the price.

3. You mean NVMe over SATA. M.2 is just the interface. NVMe vs SATA for gaming? No difference, don't bother. GTA V that takes forever to load is only like two seconds faster with NVMe than SATA. At 500 GB, I doubt you'll be doing anything that truly benefits from NVMe, so I'd get a SATA SSD. The above mentioned MX500 is great, and just doing a check right now, it's $30 cheaper than the 860 EVO, so I would get that. If the prices were the same or really close, I'd choose Samsung, but $30 is too much, MX500 makes more sense unless you're going to clone drives.

4. It's up to you. I'm not sure if it still works, but even after the free upgrade to Windows 10 ended, Microsoft still had Windows 10 free for download, so they're legit versions, but you still need to buy a key. A product key is cheap, you can buy authentic ones from a website for like $12 or something, or even from Microsoft, but slightly more expensive, I believe.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the reply . Ya I'm gaming at 1080P so I'll likely do some more research, feel like this build would be overkill for me at the moment....better off spending less now and upgrading in the future.

• 13 months ago
  • 2 points

If you're gaming at 1080p, up to 100 FPS in high detail, I would consider the 1700 (with the stock cooler) with a nice motherboard with good power delivery and upgrade to a fourth generation CPU in two years. (You can't upgrade to a CPU beyond the fourth generation Ryzen, since it'll be using the AM5 starting from the fifth generation.)

Furthermore, with that, consider a cheaper GPU, like the RX 580 8 GB. It will cut your cost by a lot, and this will work for another year or two without problems.

Just my opinion. Take it with a grain of salt.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

So I've put together a more budget minded build. Considering my monitor is 1080P, How does this one look. Anything glaringly wrong or does it all seem good? Thanks

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/kxB9QZ

• 13 months ago
  • 2 points

Is it just a 60hz monitor? If so, this is massively overkill. You also mentioned that you weren't interested in overclocking, which as Dante mentioned, kind of defeats the main sell of Intel CPU's right now.

Again, assuming that this is just for normal 1080p gaming, this comes in significantly cheaper, and will still give you the performance you're after.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor $229.99 @ Amazon Canada
Motherboard MSI - B450 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard $149.99 @ Memory Express
Memory Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $159.99 @ Newegg Canada
Storage Crucial - MX500 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $89.99 @ Newegg Canada
Storage Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $49.99 @ Powertop
Video Card Sapphire - Radeon RX 580 8 GB PULSE Video Card $309.97 @ Amazon Canada
Case NZXT - H500 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case $94.99 @ Newegg Canada
Power Supply SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $99.99 @ Amazon Canada
Operating System Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit $119.99 @ Newegg Canada
Wireless Network Adapter Gigabyte - GC-WB867D-I PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter $34.99 @ Memory Express
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $1339.88
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-12-18 12:14 EST-0500
  • 13 months ago
  • 1 point

Ya sorry. 144hz monitor

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube