add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

280x vs Vega64 tested on an old i5

elvenson
  • 18 months ago

For anyone curious what happens when you upgrade a 5yo pc with a newer card, I just got a Vega64 for $399 on newegg and decided to test it against the old 280x Matrix Platinum from my Shinegami build.

I made a pastbin with the results: https://pastebin.com/pesXq2ye

Its important to note also that my EVGA 750B psu couldn't handle this vega at all... I got it to load games and then reboot my pc every time, so its a good thing i was hanging onto a EVGA 750P2 new in the box also. I'm guessing the 750B multi rail system just couldnt put out the needed amps while the P2 easily can handle it. The PSU swap and clean driver install are the only changes I made for these tests other than swapping the card.

So to anyone with older cards wondering just how much a new card can help, the answer is ALOT... and also, I finally found a few games where my cpu is limiting my fps where it was never pushed that hard before. One is Thief, and another is Dawn of War 3 (which i forgot to test with the 280x, so i didnt include it here, just noting that my gpu use was never over 70 percent while benching it)

Comments

[comment deleted]
  • 18 months ago
  • 1 point

HAHA, I was actually surprised at the few bottlenecks I saw, though one was using Star Swarm with DX11, which made me pretty bummed when I couldnt run it on Mantle as that should have yielded similar results to when i ran Ashes of the Singularity on Vulkan vs DX11. It transfers alot of the load from cpu to gpu in order to make up for the bottlenecking, which is something you wont notice if your CPU is not holding you back in the first place.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube