add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Am I forgetting anything? Noob. Be gentle. Gaming computer first build

cosmicpickle
  • 16 months ago

This will be a project for my son and I to put together so I want it to work nicely. The games he is mostly playing right now are Fortnite and Roblox. He is also interested in Halo. He is wanting to move from the XBOX over to a PC because there are things he is not able to do on the XBOX that he says he will be able to do on a laptop or PC. He will want to be able to talk to his friends over this computer. He is interested in doing tournaments in the future. We currently have satellite wi-fi because that's all that is available in our area. He will be watching a lot of videos on this computer as well and listening to music. He has a separate laptop that the school provides for his homework. I want to make sure I have a complete parts list and something that makes sense for what I will need now and to be able to upgrade for the next appx 3-4 years. Updates Original submission https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Mq3qXP

Updated parts list after input from others : (Intel build) https://pcpartpicker.com/list/DM239J Build that NZXT recommends: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/3wnTRJ

Comments

• 16 months ago
  • 2 points

A few things, the big one being SSD. Other minor points: although Intel isn't as memory sensitive as Ryzen, 2133 is too slow; I'd suggest a better power supply and CPU cooler; the monitor is unworthy of the other parts; and the wifi card didn't support AC speeds. Fixing these things takes the price up a bit but you have a better machine:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor $369.99 @ Amazon
CPU Cooler CRYORIG - H7 49 CFM CPU Cooler $38.00 @ Amazon
Motherboard Asus - ROG STRIX Z370-F GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $204.99 @ Walmart
Memory G.Skill - Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $109.99 @ Newegg
Storage Crucial - MX500 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $74.89 @ OutletPC
Video Card MSI - GeForce GTX 1070 Ti 8 GB ARMOR Video Card $449.99 @ Newegg
Case NZXT - H500 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case $69.99 @ B&H
Power Supply SeaSonic - FOCUS Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $78.20 @ B&H
Operating System Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit $98.99 @ Amazon
Wireless Network Adapter Asus - PCE-AC51 PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter $29.31 @ Amazon
Case Fan Corsair - Air Series AF120 Quiet Edition (2-Pack) 39.88 CFM 120mm Fans $32.06 @ OutletPC
Monitor LG - 24MP59G-P 23.8" 1920x1080 75 Hz Monitor $109.99 @ B&H
External Storage Seagate - Backup Plus Slim 2 TB External Hard Drive $64.99 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $1731.38
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-12-01 11:21 EST-0500

One other point: given the monitor (whether the one you picked or the one listed above), the 1070 Ti GPU is a bit of overkill. You might want to consider going with an RX 580 for now, which will match the 24MP59G monitor very well and save $200 or so. Later on, you can upgrade the GPU and monitor together if you want higher resolution or higher fps. The RX 580 will game at 60+ fps at high settings for most games, and definitely Fortnite and friends.

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you for your insight. I did not realize the 2133 on the SDD, and wasn't sure what to do about a CPU cooler or monitor. I appreciate your help!

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

The 2133 is the speed of the ram, and you didn't have an SSD in your parts list. An SSD is just fast storage, so your computer and programs can boot up faster. RAM is fast memory. It's what makes it so that when you do something like pressing from one tab to another, it seems almost instant. If you don't have enough RAM, then it will have to load that tab again because you didn't have enough storage. RAM also helps in games. The parts list kschendel made is good and I would recommend it. Good luck!!!

EDIT: I would actually recommend my build instead (I didn't look over it very well the first time).

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

thank you

• 16 months ago
  • 2 points

I made quite a few changes to get you the best for your money. You didn't forget anything, though! not bad at all for a first part list.

• I gave you a Ryzen CPU instead of the 8700K. The 8700K is now outdated by the 9700K and the 2600 is going to give you much better bang for your buck. It also comes with a great cooler.

• I gave you a motherboard with on-board WIFI so you don't need an add in card.

• I added much faster RAM.

• I got a SSD along with a mechanical HDD. You absolutely want Windows on a SSD vs a normal HDD. It makes a world of a difference. I switched you to Windows Home. Saves you money, and the Pro version isn't going to make any difference for gaming.

• I switched you from the 1070 Ti to the 2070. It's a bit faster and supports all of the newest technologies. It fits nicely in your budget.

• I gave you a much higher quality power supply with higher wattage that will last you a lot longer.

• I got you a MUCH bigger and MUCH higher quality monitor. You definitely don't want to run 1600x900 resolution with a computer like this. It would be a waste. You're going to be blown away by this monitor.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor $174.00 @ Amazon
Motherboard Gigabyte - B450 AORUS PRO WIFI (rev. 1.0) ATX AM4 Motherboard $110.78 @ OutletPC
Memory G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $124.99 @ Newegg
Storage Team - L5 LITE 480 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $52.99 @ Newegg
Storage Seagate - Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $58.50 @ Amazon
Video Card Gigabyte - GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card $498.99 @ SuperBiiz
Case NZXT - H500 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case $69.99 @ B&H
Power Supply *Cooler Master - MasterWatt 750 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $55.99 @ Newegg
Operating System Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit $98.89 @ OutletPC
Monitor AOC - Q2778VQE 27.0" 2560x1440 60 Hz Monitor $199.99 @ Newegg
External Storage Seagate - Backup Plus Slim 2 TB External Hard Drive $64.99 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $1555.10
Mail-in rebates -$45.00
Total $1510.10
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-12-01 11:27 EST-0500

Let me know if you have any questions. You won't have to upgrade this for a very long time.

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

This looks spectacular! Thank you so much for your help!

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

I do have a question, what would need to be added to make this VR ready?

• 16 months ago
  • 2 points

This build is 100% VR ready, no problem at all. Anything higher than an RX 580 or a GTX 1060 can do VR just fine.

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

This won't have the top fps of a 8700K build, but it has better resolution for the money and will run plenty fast enough.

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

I'd think a 2600 + 2070 combo would get higher average FPS than an 8700K + 1070Ti but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

I guess it depends on the resolution and the game. I'd definitely expect the 8700K to win at 1080p on the tougher games, since they tend to be more CPU limited, and both CPU's are 6c/12t. As the games get CPU-easier, the GPU will be more of the limiting factor (actually the monitor probably will, but let's stay theoretical for a moment). Is the 2070 that much faster than a 1070 Ti? I haven't seen numbers, and I expect it's faster, just don't know how much.

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

The 2070 is just a hair faster than the 1080 in non-RTX titles.

• 16 months ago
  • 2 points

Thx!

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/6zkkyX

Wouldn't some different parts do better?

E.g. the power supply, monitor etc

• 16 months ago
  • 0 points

Your right about the monitor. The monitors that the others chose are not good enough. The power supply would probably be good enough though.

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

55 for a bronze or 45 for a gold? I know it's only power efficiency rating but if you can get a higher efficiency supply for the same or cheaper. Why not do it?

• 16 months ago
  • 2 points

This is what I'm going with I think. It's a little cheaper too. It'll play any game just fine, and it's way better than an xbox. You can also change the case, add fans, and add in this mother board for wifi (buying a motherboard with built in wifi is better than buying a cheap wifi card), but this is just what I'm getting. Hope this helps!

motherboard - https://pcpartpicker.com/product/NyqhP6/gigabyte-b360-aorus-gaming-3-wifi-atx-lga1151-motherboard-b360-aorus-gaming-3-wifi

my parts list - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/7cGvCb

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

Nice that it has the bluetooth and wifi built in

• 16 months ago
  • 0 points

I'll get bitched at here, but I gotta say it.... that system isn't much better than the XB1X...….. so Unless it is just game selection he is after....That's a lota Rubles.

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

haha it's ok. Please feel free to post your recommended build or prebuilt. He originally wanted a laptop to play on but I am hesitant to go with a laptop. I guess one of the main reasons would be getting sick of having to buy new consoles every few years, also if he has a PC he will be able to play something besides xbox games. He can play games that are playstation or whatever and they should be cheaper. Other people are having steam accounts and using twitch. I am not sure what those are yet but it sounds interesting.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube