add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

What to do with old HDD's?

GrinderCB
  • 18 months ago

I started upgrading/building PC's back in the 90's and have a backlog of old hard drives. I figured one day I'd get around to hooking them up with an adapter, pull any old data, then wipe them and maybe reuse them. "One day" came last week and two of those oldies, an old Maxtor 500MB and a Quantum Fireball 40GB, came up short. Neither was detected by way of the adapter even though they powered up when connected. Oh well. So what now? I thought maybe I'd take a sledgehammer to them, or maybe head out to the gun range and use them for target practice.

BTW, the other six HDD's in my collection are alive and well. Found some old photos and things that I retrieved. Cleared the partitions and reformatted them so now I have a mish-mash of hard drive storage.

Ideas on how to dispose of the non-working ones?

Anybody? Anybody? Bueller...?

Comments

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

You should take out the magnets from the dead drives.

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

Shoot em. We use them for target practice. Oh and get some tanerite too, that crap is fun to put right behind the old parts.

• 18 months ago
  • 2 points

You shouldn't put an explosive charge behind something that can be accelerated. Explosives should always be placed so that any shrapnel is propelled away from people and places of residence.

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

Yep I agree. That said, we shoot them from 300 yards plus, in an open field so I I think we are ok.

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

I get that, but I've seen tannerite propel objects 1000+ yards with some serious force. A lot of people have lost body parts or been killed outright by flying shrapnel from igniting tannterite.

Best to be safe if it goes boom. ;)

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

Salvage the super strong magnets out of them first, then do whatever. Power them up and scratch the disk, shoot em, whatever

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

I use the platters from old drives as coasters, and also salvage the magnets.

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

I am pretty bad about HDDs, I will sometimes 0 the hard drives, but most of the time they end up on a shelve in my closet, I have also been know to use them for drink coasters on my desk or holding down papers (yes, paperweights)

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

Often it's just incompatible with the adapters used... Try to plug them in to the motherboard and they may work

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

I open mine up and remove the magnets. For the disk platters I scratch them up with the edge of a flat head screwdriver, then bash them up. A hammer and punch work well to put severe dimples in it so it can't be read. Last one I smashed the platters with a hammer on the edge so they crumpled and folded over as well. You can drill them if you want but that takes more work. You just want to damage it enough that it can't be recovered then toss them out.

Note that a format does not actually erase the data, it just deletes the reference to the partition etc. and someone who knows data recovery methods can recover the data. You can use software to flood the drive with 0's and 1's which will actually over-write the data if you want, but just destroying the platters is much easier, and you are already opening the drive to grab the magnets anyway.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube