add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Are Ryzen stock coolers any good?

iiVe

12 months ago

I'm getting a closed water loop for my Ryzen 2700X, but that may require a mounting adapter which would take an extra couple days to arrive and I want to use my PC as fast as possible. I'll install the water cooler if I can but just in case I need to order a mounting adapter, will the stock Ryzen cooler be enough to cool the CPU while I wait? I don't plan on overclocking it too early but I do plan on doing some heavy gaming on the 2080 Ti card I'm getting (don't give me advice about the card, I know what I need). My case is the Matrexx 55 so I think it's well ventilated. Just want to make sure the stock cooler is enough, thanks.

Comments

• 12 months ago
  • 2 points

The Ryzen stock coolers are actually pretty decent compared to the ones that Intel provide.

And I know you said you won't overclock, but the stock coolers are actually good enough enough for light to moderate overclocking with no issues. Just to give you a performance idea. You'll be more than fine

• 12 months ago
  • 2 points

alright thanks man

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

what version of the wraith cooler comes with the Ryzen 2700X?

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

The best RGB one, the wraith max.

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

It depends from what Ryzen processor we are taking about.

For example, the Wraith Stealth on a R1200 will do a great job even if you overclock that processor.

The same applies to the R1500X with the even better Wraith Spire.

The Wraith Stealth cooler on an R2600, would do a bad job for overclocking that processor though.

And the above applies for the included Wraith Prism of the 2700X as well.

For stock speeds the included coolers should be enough.

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

That wasn't a very concise answer. All I wanna know is if the cooler for the 2700X would be enough for a few days in case I can't install the water cooler right away.

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah sorry, i didn't see it was intended for an Ryzen 2700X.

I was mostly focused on the title rather than reading your post.

So that was my fault. I think I'm getting old. lol

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

oh you edited it, alright thanks

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

If you keep that 2700X at stock, the Wraith Prism is perfectly fine.

Of course with an aftermarket cooler - Air or AIO, you would achieve even lower CPU temps thus getting even higher boost clock speeds.

With the above in mind, you should be getting speeds near to 4.0GHz+ on all cores and that makes an overclock obsolete actually, as a 150MHz-200MHz higher core speed wouldn't gain you much of a performance boost.

And you will lose the higher single core boost of 4.35GHz too, as it's almost impossible to overclock that processor that high, unless you use some kind of exotic cooling like a custom loop setup.

But i wouldn't do that either, as 4.2GHz with an AIO vs 4.35GHz with an custom loop isn't worth the trouble and the money you will spend for such an attempt. :)

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

If I can install the aftermarket cooler should I? It would be extra hastle since it's water and pretty complicated from the looks of it. Would it even be worth it?

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

For getting the temps down as much as possible to archive an higher all core boost clock (XFR2), i would say yes.

But you could opt for an good Air cooler as well.

It would cost you less, and it will do the same good job as an AIO on a stock running 2700X.

The installation procedure should be way easier too.

However, even the stock cooler would be perfectly fine if you wanna use that instead.

In a matter of fact, i would suggest to use the included stock cooler and stress test the CPU with AIDA64 for example.

If that CPU can retain speeds near to 4.0GHz without throttling, there is no reason to replace that cooler.

Just mount some intake fans and a exhaust fan as well on that Case as the Deepcool - MATREXX 55 ADD-RGB shouldn't come with any.

Also that board (ASRock - X470 Master SLI/AC) even if it should be enough for an stocked clocked 2700X, it does (did) have a broken VRM heat sensor.

I don't know if ASRock has bothered to fix that.

And lastly, if you have the intention to overclock that Ryzen 2700X for some reason, that's definitely the wrong board for doing that.

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

What would a better board?

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

The cooler for the Ryzen 2700X is good. You don't need to buy a better cooler as your temps won't be the issue. Voltages are the limit of your overclock. Expect 4.2-4.3 stock speeds with the stock cooler.

[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube