add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

1500$ gaming build opinions (help a noob out)

KrisC21
  • 15 months ago

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Bb3XpG

So yesterday someone suggested this build to me but I want some opinions on it like if I’m wasting money on anything or if my power supply needs to be better trying to run FPS games

Comments

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

That's a pretty good 1440p setup. There are two ways you might change it and both would cost more. Once, switch to an i5-9600K which will probably give you a few more top end fps for most games, but lacks the extra threads that a few of the latest releases are looking for. Two, switch the GPU to a Vega 64 and go with a freesync monitor. The Vega is probably a little behind the 1070 Ti on a lot of games but adaptive sync helps hide that.

The PSU is fine.

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

I’m trying to stay close to 1500$ so would this build hold up and what’s the difference between this monitor and a v sync monitor

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

The build is fine as it stands, I was just offering alternates for consideration.

vsync and adaptive sync (freesync for amd or gsync for nvidia) work in different directions. Vsync isn't a monitor feature, it's really more of a game or driver feature. Setting a vsync caps the frame rate at the monitor refresh rate so that the computer isn't sending out frames faster than the monitor can display them. Adaptive sync is a monitor feature, and it's the same idea the other direction: if the computer is sending frames slower than the monitor refresh rate, adaptive sync slows the monitor rate to match the computer fps.

The idea for both vsync and adaptive sync is to avoid having the monitor see partial frames caused by the computer fps not matching the refresh rate. Freesync is a lot cheaper than gsync, but gsync is an entire monitor qualification program not just adaptive sync, so the end result is arguably better.

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

With the build I have now what monitor would u recommend

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

Or should I go with a 1080p monitor

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

The one in your parts list is fine though.

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

Do u use that monitor and if you do do you like it for gaming

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't know that I can answer that, it depends on what you want. 1440p can certainly be more immersive since you keep more detail in a larger screen. If you need max fps then 1080p is always going to better since it's easier for the GPU to drive.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube