add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

$500 Office Computer Build

sirepicpotato
  • 16 months ago

Sorry for my lack of knowledge. On the advice of a friend I was wondering if I could get your guys advice on a build for an office computer (to be ordered thrice). The requirements for the software it uses are at least 4Gb ram (although I have been told 8GB is generally better), at least 200gb of hardrive space and specifically an Intel processor.

Could you guys please help me out?

Comments

• 16 months ago
  • 2 points

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel - Core i3-8100 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor $114.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard Gigabyte - B360M DS3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $59.99 @ Newegg
Memory Team - Vulcan 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2400 Memory $94.99 @ Newegg Business
Storage Crucial - MX500 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $64.99 @ Adorama
Video Card PowerColor - Radeon RX 550 - 640 2 GB Video Card $89.99 @ Newegg
Case Thermaltake - Versa H15 MicroATX Mid Tower Case $31.74 @ Amazon
Power Supply Corsair - CX (2017) 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $37.98 @ Newegg
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $494.67
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-11-25 23:24 EST-0500

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2 GHz 6-Core Processor $129.99 @ Newegg Business
Motherboard Gigabyte - B450M DS3H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard $59.99 @ Amazon
Memory Team - Vulcan 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2400 Memory $94.99 @ Newegg Business
Storage Crucial - MX500 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $64.99 @ Adorama
Video Card ASRock - Radeon RX 550 - 512 2 GB Phantom Gaming Video Card $79.98 @ Newegg
Case Thermaltake - Versa H15 MicroATX Mid Tower Case $31.74 @ Amazon
Power Supply Corsair - CX (2017) 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $37.98 @ Newegg
Total $499.66
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-11-25 23:22 EST-0500

If you need operating systems, monitor, or peripherals included in price, check out used optiplexes with 3rd and 4th gen i5's as an alternative. These typically come with Windows 10 Pro for around $250, leaving room to add a monitor and SSD.

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

Many thanks.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 16 months ago
  • 2 points

I use a 2600 for "office" use and it is awesome.

No point barrel scraping for lower end CPUs when we're already nearly at the bottom of the cost barrel anyway. Remember, the fixed minimum costs of things like drives, cases, psu's, etc, all wind up creating an environment where very small differences in total computer cost have huge impacts on resulting system performance. Try to save $50 and you'll cut CPU power to 1/3rd. Try to save $100 and loose discrete GPU.

• 16 months ago
  • 2 points

I'm sure it is just way to expensive for general use a 200ge would be about as "awesome" but at a third the price

It's not really 1/3rd the price when we consider the effect it has on the entire build cost. you have to buy a motherboard, case, psu, ssd, ram, monitor, keyboard, operating system, etc. Before we can even put a CPU in a computer there's at least about $500 worth of other stuff involved, so it doesn't matter if we buy a $55 CPU or a $115-160 CPU, the "difference" in total build cost is only effected by ~10-20%.

also 550 is for low speck gaming

Works as a great office GPU to drive 2-5 monitors to increase productivity. (yes it supports up to 5 monitors if 3-4 are connected to the DP port via mst daisy-chain, which is common on office/business class dell monitors.

I use the Radeon Pro WX 3100 at work, which is actually an RX 550 with 4GB VRAM and 3 X DP outputs. Works great. I drive 3-5 monitors with it all the time. My 3 primary displays are all 1440P and this GPU keeps things pretty responsive with tons of applications and huge documents and multiple virtual machines running.

Sharing memory bandwidth for both system RAM and VRAM causes poor interactive performance and responsiveness when the CPU gets busy loading big documents or installing software or decompressing zip files. An entry level discrete GPU is a great way to improve the responsiveness of an office computer to improve productivity. Integrated graphics are a compromise that should be reserved for laptops. If we're building a desktop, it deserves discrete graphics for the best possible performance. Why build a desktop if we don't care about performance?

and office doesn't use 16gb of ram

I've used over 20GB RAM just with common office applications and huge documents and web tabs open at work. MS Office is actually a total memory hog, especially if you run the 64 bit version and need it. I made the mistake of building my latest office rig with only 16GB thinking I could get by and immediately started running out. Just bumped it up to 64GB to support big document editing and research workflows while testing multi-VM environments.

The cornerstone of any good workstation is having plenty of RAM to fit any size project that might come along. This is why high end workstations from Dell and HP were always on server platforms, so they could support ECC Registered memory and often support like 4-8X as much RAM as typical consumer platform computers.

Lets consider the possibility that by giving someone a Ryzen 1600 + RX 550 instead of a 200GE, that they are apt to be about 5% more productive overall since they will spend less time waiting on the computer, and less time having their train of thought interrupted by poor interactive performance. This adds about $155 to the price of the build. Now lets say this office worker makes $20/hr (which for the company, actually costs closer to $30-35/hr when we factor in employment taxes, benefits, etc). The $155 investment in superior hardware pays for itself in less than 2 weeks at this rate, and continues to return improved productivity going forward. Even if we figure on the nicer hardware only improving someones productivity by 1%, it still pays for itself in a couple months. The computer is likely to be in use for several years before replacement!!!

Cheaping out on computer hardware doesn't pay in work environments. Never has, never will.

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

Why specifically an Intel processor?

And what is the hardest thing these computers are likely to do? web browsing, email, small (tens of pages) documents, powerpoints? or worse?

There are a couple ways to slice this depending on whether the workload is more likely to rely in display capabilities or compute capabilities. The cheapo way is a 200GE with the embedded GPU. If more compute power is needed, a 2400G with its embedded CPU. If the computer is mostly a display, 200GE and an RX550 GPU. Either way I'd do 2x4GB RAM and a 500GB Crucial MX500.

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

The software we use at my work is an older program called Sunix. It is a database program primarily. According to the creators of the software I need specifically Intel for it to work.

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

for ~$1200 three of these could do you very well PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel - Core i3-8100 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor $114.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard ASRock - H310M-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard $59.99 @ Newegg
Memory Crucial - Ballistix Sport LT 8 GB (1 x 8 GB) DDR4-2666 Memory $51.99 @ Amazon
Storage Western Digital - Blue 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive $69.99 @ Amazon
Case Silverstone - Sugo SG13B Mini ITX Tower Case $50.50 @ B&H
Power Supply Corsair - CX (2017) 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $27.99 @ Newegg
Total (before mail-in rebates) $410.45
Mail-in rebates -$35.00
Total $375.45
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-11-26 14:44 EST-0500
  • 16 months ago
  • 1 point

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 5 2400G 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor $157.99 @ SuperBiiz
Motherboard Gigabyte - B450M DS3H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard $59.99 @ Amazon
Memory Team - Vulcan 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2400 Memory $94.99 @ Newegg
Storage Kingston - A400 120 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $27.91 @ Amazon
Storage Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $39.99 @ Monoprice
Case Cooler Master - MasterBox Q300L MicroATX Mini Tower Case $39.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply Corsair - VS 500 W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply $42.98 @ Newegg
Total $463.84
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-11-26 20:28 EST-0500
[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
  • 16 months ago
  • 0 points

Keep it polite or don't comment on this site.

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

Many thanks. I will have to ask my friend about the stuff you mentioned.

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

The 200GE I think is a little bit under-performing even for basic tasks.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube