add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

moving my nvme m.2 ssd from sata ssd slot to m.2 nvme slot

favourxyz

14 months ago

so i just bought a pre built custom pc on my local store. i realize the NVME is on m.2 slot for sata ssd, NOT on the actual nvme m.2 slot. on the drive theres alreavy OS and pogram installed.

Is it safe if i just move the ssd(My NVME ssd whose installed on m.2 sata slot. yeah its kinda dumb) from M.2SATA SLOT to the ACTUALLY NVME M.2 SLOT?? Do I need reinstall all over?

Comments

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

An M+B key m.2 slot ought to be able to operate either way. NVMe drives don't have a SATA interface, so if it's working, then it must be running in NVMe mode. Unless you need to be able to install an m.2 form SATA drive, I'd just leave it alone.

(You can probably verify this by poking around in the windows hardware control panel to see what driver the SSD is using.)

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

i'm using adata sx8200, the technician install it on m.2 sata slot on second m.2 slot on my asrock b450 pro 4 mobo. i want to move my ssd to the actual nvme m.2 slot on middle slot(between pcie and cpu. is it safe? do i need to reinstall OS etc?

so what happen here -before: my ssd installed on lower slot m.2 for sata ssd( not support nvme) -after: my ssd installed on ultra m.2 slot(pcie gen 3 support nvme)

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

If the SSD is working at all, it is running using the NVMe interface, because the SX8200 is an NVMe drive, not a SATA drive. The lower slot obviously does support NVMe or the SSD wouldn't be recognized at all.

If you want to move the SSD to take advantage of the theoretically faster upper slot, fine, but don't imagine that it will go a lot faster for real usages. I've no idea whether Windows will have a problem if you move it. The simplest thing to do is try it and see; I suspect that either it will all work fine, or it won't boot at all, so you shouldn't have any trouble discovering whether it has worked.

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

Windows shouldn’t have an issue with moving the drive.

But don’t change what works, install CrystalDisk if you really want to see the drive speeds

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube