add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Why are most social media platforms considered left-wing?

Bartholemew
  • 18 months ago

This means platforms like youtube, twitter and facebook.

Comments

• 18 months ago
  • 12 points

I would lean towards the mindset that social media (dependent on the platform) has a higher proportion of younger people that use it compared to older people. This can add to, but not necessarily completely explain the disparity in political thought on those platforms.

• 18 months ago
  • 4 points

This.

I already posted my comment before I saw this...

+1

• 18 months ago
  • 2 points

Yeah, this phenomena is somewhat more apparent when comparing Facebook from the past (more liberal) with modern Facebook (more conservative) after the fluctuation from a higher proportion of younger people using it to a higher proportion of older people using it.

• 18 months ago
  • 2 points

True. Most of the younger generations have moved/are moving from FB to instagram/snapchat.. I know hundreds of millennials that have deleted their FB accounts, but I know very few if any older people that have done the same. Because of this, there is a steady incline of right wing posts.. Not to mention, older people post so much more often as many of them are retired/retiring. Additional to the amount of posts, the amount of miss-information spread is increased as well. At least in my experience, older people are more likely to post something without doing any baseline research to confirm that it's true..

Did you know that FB tracks your political stance based on your posts/comments/likes? I would be curious to see their data history to see just how accurate my hypothesis is..

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

Did you know that FB tracks your political stance based on your posts/comments/likes? I would be curious to see their data history to see just how accurate my hypothesis is..

I did not know this, but it wouldn't surprise me. It would be interesting data to get your hands on. Maybe if we ask a Russian they'll release it?

• 18 months ago
  • 3 points

Theres actually a way in facebook to see what party it considers you, liberal/conservative/highly liberal/highly conservative. Don't remember how to get to it but i think its in settings under something like "see what facebook tracks about you"

• 18 months ago
  • 3 points

It's definitely true,

Go to FB and click on "your information" and then click on "your categories", and it will say something like US Politics (Moderate).

• 18 months ago
  • 2 points

One can conclude from your observation that older people are more likely to be conservatives, and younger are most likely liberals - then the next question could be why are older more likely to be conservatives and younger more likely to be liberals?

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

That is a solid question. Part of it would likely be due to increased interest in matters that would be benefited by being conservative such as retirement savings, healthcare expenses, etc. People like to protect their own interests. But, I have heard that the next generation is slated to be quite conservative. So, it's hard to say what would instigate that change if it's true.

• 18 months ago
  • 2 points

I see myself as more conservative than liberal, but I do live in Alabama so.

• 18 months ago
  • 2 points

Political leanings tend to shift over time, and the pendulum often swings between extremes. Economics and world events also play a huge role- things like the recession and rising national debt are great examples.

• 18 months ago
  • 5 points

Reality has a well-known liberal bias. ~Steven Colbert

[comment deleted]
  • 18 months ago
  • 2 points

This is exactly the problem with so many people. Filtering out one bias and not filtering out the other bias they lean towards.

• 18 months ago
  • 2 points

You gotta take info from all sources, not just one, and see what facts run constant throughout.

• 18 months ago
  • 3 points

This sort of contradicts your previous statement.

• 18 months ago
  • 2 points

I worded it wrong. I meant Cobert's statement seems to hold up after listening to fox news, but pop onto CNN and you quickly realize that they're no better.

• 18 months ago
  • 4 points

Probably because people get posts deleted and/or accounts punished/banned for expressing views that aren't considered "left-wing", so they complain about it, which perpetuates the idea that the platform is "left-wing" and silencing opposing views. You know, things like: "racism only exists against white people" or "black people are inferior" or "women shouldn't have been given the right to vote" or "mexicans are rapists" or "muslims are terrorists". Typical right-wing views.

• 18 months ago
  • 2 points

All those stereotypes for a stereotype right wing are wrong. We just have our own opinion, and that happens to be that the government should slow down and stop taking charge of things.

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

We just have our own opinion, and that happens to be that the government should slow down and stop taking charge of things.

If this was where conservative interests in general stopped I'd be able to find more common ground these days. Somehow, they keep finding themselves interested in other things beyond what you've laid out, though. See my reply to Bartholemew on this same chain.

• 18 months ago
  • 2 points

Totally not stereotyping.

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

Totally stereotyping. I'll admit to that. I did say I was intentionally being a troll.

But, not completely being a troll: conservatives did elect someone who endorses white nationalism, abuses women, campaigned on banning muslims from the country on the grounds that they are terrorists, and literally said the majority of mexican immigrants are rapists and/or drug dealers. The conservative majority in Congress meanwhile is fastidiously examining their navels every time he performs another blunder, happy to have him so long as they tick off a few wishlist items. So it's not too far off the mark, and I don't feel bad. I respect any conservative who acknowledges that Trump is a disaster of a human, and I especially respect any conservative who voted for him but realized their mistake and feels ashamed about it.

[comment deleted]
  • 18 months ago
  • 5 points

My comment was a gradient of trolling, starting from 0% and ending at close to (but not quite) 100%.

• 18 months ago
  • 4 points

In addition to a few other's great points.

I know it's hard to believe sometimes, but social media is ran by and primarily used by millennials and younger, which are far more liberal than the older generations.

• 18 months ago
  • 4 points

Would anyone else like some popcorn?

• 18 months ago
  • 4 points

Do you guys have Nachos?

• 18 months ago
  • 2 points

Yes. Large or Extra Large?

• 18 months ago
  • 4 points

Supersized!

• 18 months ago
  • 2 points

Coming right up! Nacho cheese or cool ranch?

• 18 months ago
  • 3 points
  • 18 months ago
  • 2 points

Lol

• 18 months ago
  • 3 points

One of my personal favorite memes actually. Almost always triggers happiness and you know what they say...

When the karma ratios are screaming, you better get to the meme-ing.

• 18 months ago
  • 2 points

Yep

• 18 months ago
  • 2 points

Yes please. Its the only reason I made this post, lol.

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

Lol here's your popcorn

• 18 months ago
  • 3 points

Dog bites man, meh. Man bites dog, NEWS!

• 18 months ago
  • 3 points

If you're not biting your dog to teach them, you aren't training them right.

• Some weird guy that likes biting dogs, probably.
  • 18 months ago
  • 3 points

I dislike seeing common sense sacrificed on the altar of political correctness.

• 18 months ago
  • 2 points

Something I learned working in a prison: Common sense isn't all that common.

• 18 months ago
  • 3 points

Something I had reinforced while I was in prison: Common sense isn't all that common.

• 18 months ago
  • 2 points

Well, we learned a common lesson.

Ba dum tss.

• 18 months ago
  • 2 points

Most right-wing people are scared off because of what happens to the far/alt right when they post their views. The far-left isn't affected nearly as much

[comment deleted]
  • 18 months ago
  • 7 points

Part of free speech is the right to object to opinions you think are wrong.

• 18 months ago
  • 2 points

Yeah, but the point isn't that objecting to everything different should be illegal, the point is that it's stupid

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

Unless you believe that all ideals are equal, it's not stupid.

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
  • 18 months ago
  • 3 points

The rioting is BS. Those people should be arrested. Yelling at people in restaurants is also disturbing the peace, and they should be arrested.

Protesting speakers, even though I disagree with it, and public shaming is part of free speech. Funny thing is if you can be publicly shamed about a belief, perhaps it's time to re-evaluate said belief.

• 18 months ago
  • 4 points

Venezuela is a left-wing 'utopia' gone wrong

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

Not really. I'd say left-wingers prefer governments more akin to the Nordic nations.

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

All depends on where the wing stops.

[comment deleted]
  • 18 months ago
  • 4 points

Open boarders

Liberal here. I just think that we can have good border control through physical guard patrols. NOT wasting billions on a stupid wall, or throwing kids in concentration camps.

Also, **borders.

• 18 months ago
  • 4 points

Conservative here. The wall is a dumb idea, no doubt. I'm actually pro-open borders for the most part. Economically it's in our interests. But, it does come with downsides.

I will say, however, that patrolling the border physically has been less than successful. And, for good reason. It's a big *** border. Most any kind of patrolling it is basically an effort in futility and minimization.

• 18 months ago
  • 2 points

Interesting Point of view.

It is a large border, and history has shown time and time again that no border is perfect. No matter what we do, we're still going to have border jumpers, drug/human traffickers, and all the other nasties we're trying to keep out.

• 18 months ago
  • 3 points

I too think the wall is a dumb idea.

I wonder how much we could increase security with more technology over manpower.

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

“Hey, Dmitry here”.... oh, is that not what we’re going for? I’ll just leave. :(

[comment deleted]
  • 18 months ago
  • 2 points

Politics in America is a combination of sport and entertainment to sway people, who are mostly similar, in one particular direction. The technology has certainly changed but the idea that there is "fake news" or "no good news now a days" is humorous. If you do some research you can find many accounts throughout American history of people being swayed by propaganda advertised as facts by mainstream media outlets. They call it yellow press. When extremely powerful industrialists own all the newspapers or cable channels they have the ability to sway opinion.

I find it unlikely that many of the people in high-end American politics have much in common with me. This country is run by the wealthiest people regardless of their political party.

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

Practice of free speech on the websites along with the companies themselves being outwardly accepting of everything that they can peddle ad space for. Better to be this way than burn any bridges for potential clients.

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

The users are more left leaning it seems. The employees of the companies are largely left wing. And the policies and content more often show left wing tendency more than right.

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

10 hour old topic with 55 responses. That’s interesting

• 18 months ago
  • 3 points

It's a political thread, sooo...

People will fight tooth and nail over this.

People make threads with the title "libtard bad" or "orange man bad" and sit and watch the fireworks happen.

• 18 months ago
  • 2 points

I’ve never seen one get this much attention so quickly though and the downvotes are insane.

• 18 months ago
  • 3 points

Welcome to PCPartPicker, where political topics get more heat than the topics actually about PCs.

• 18 months ago
  • 2 points

Lol true.

• 18 months ago
  • 2 points

Everyone wants to talk politics nowadays...

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah...

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

~24 Hour - 109 responses. Over 500 views.

What is it the kids say....? Oh, yeah...

Dayum Sonnn

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

We’re only contributing to the madness.

[comment deleted]
  • 18 months ago
  • 9 points

There's no struggle to accept Trump as president, he's just an objectively bad human being who has abused and desecrated the office. So there's a lot of desire to be rid of him.

• 18 months ago
  • 3 points

Gorkti just won PCPP's comment award for the day. Gold star!

[comment deleted]
  • 18 months ago
  • 9 points

Can no longer tell if this is satire.

[comment deleted]
  • 18 months ago
  • 6 points

Historical? What is he trying to do that is historical?

• 18 months ago
  • 4 points

But what he is trying to do is historical

Elaborate...

• 18 months ago
  • 4 points

I don't like him because he is an objectively bad human being with largely terrible policy ideas and clearly clueless. All you have to do is listen to him to ascertain this for yourself, I don't watch cable news. He is making America worse.

I said I couldn't tell if this was satire because your comment read like a madlib of most used words from any MAGA oriented site/forum/etc. Like it was written by an AI trained exclusively on Breitbart, the Daily Caller, and Trump's twitter.

• 18 months ago
  • 4 points

And this is why left wing looks down on the right. Higher concentration of these guys.

• 18 months ago
  • 3 points

What's so historical about severing diplomatic ties and dropping taxes? What's historical about mass sterotyping and discrimination against religions and ethnicities? Look, I'm not liberal, but this social justice vs anti-pc war is getting out of control.

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube