add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

1TB is NOT enough storage!

Mighty_Spoon
  • 20 months ago

For my PC, I bought a 1 TB WD Blue drive. No SSD for boot drive and other important programs; just the WD Blue. I recently found out the hard way that not having enough free storage can destroy a PC. So, due to the deal on Newegg that is the PNY CS1311 120 Gig SSD for almost half-off, I'm expanding my storage by a little bit. However, I plan to buy larger HDDs in the near future. Anyone else experience this like I did?

Comments

• 20 months ago
  • 2 points

Depends on the user. I've known plenty of people that never use more than ~100GB of their hard drive space, but they tend not to show up on places like pchardwarepicket.com

Checking out HDD prices: (more or less cheapest hard drives, since there are about 2-3 real manufactures left it doesn't matter).

1TB = $43

2TB = $54

3TB = $65

4TB = $95

I recommend going straight to the 3TB HDDs, just for three times the storage at a 50% higher price. 120G is really small (256GB is mostly where SSDs start nowadays), but the price is certainly right. I can't say I've had hard drive corruption due to using too much capacity (possibly not true, I've killed at least one filesystem and may have overfilled it), but it isn't a good thing to do (your write speed will always suffer from overfilling a drive, and HDDs really can't afford to lose any more performance).

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Agreed, price per GB the 3TB drives are beast right now. As far as SSDs go they are far less GB for dollar spent but they are great for boot drive and to install your most played games on. I got a 512GB SSD that I need to pick and choose which games to install on it from my steam library. For storage I am a bit of the exception rather than the rule where I store a ton of video and I am over 7TB of video stored on my PC now. I store everything of videos I record myself to TV series and movies. Works great because my 2nd system that is an HTPC can access all of it over my network and play it on the TV.

I have considered the idea of upgrading to 12TB HDDs and have been looking at the ironwolf pro drives but they are expensive.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube