add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Help Clearing out HDD

Nauthes
  • 17 months ago

Hey guys,

I need some help on how to best go about this. What i want to do i s use a Hard drive from an old PC. Its a perfectly good 1tb 7200rpm WD Blue.

Whats the best way to wipe it out before using it in the new build?

Comments

• 17 months ago
  • 2 points

Just reformat it, nothing else really needs to be done.

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

from the pc its currently in? just rightclick and click format?

• 17 months ago
  • 2 points

Just connect the drive to your new build and format it...

• 17 months ago
  • 2 points

ah perfect! thanks guys

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

You're welcome!

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

Yup, that's it. Now it will not let you do that if it has the OS installed, if does you will have to install it on the new PC and then reformat it.

• 17 months ago
  • 2 points

This is all you need to do, although adding onto it depending on what info is on there (personal files like tax records or business documents depending on where the drive came from) you might want to use Darick's Boot and Nuke (DBAN). It will write over the whole drive with 1's then with 0's as many times as you want to completely destroy any data that was on it.

Also I like to name the drive something obvious like "WIPE DRIVE" so that once in the disk management I don't accidentally click the wrong one. Like how doctors doing amputations will write "NOT THIS ARM" on, well, the arm they shouldn't amputate.

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

This. Formatting a HD means the data can still be recovered. With DBAN... good luck getting anything usable off that drive after.

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

Anyone seen a good place to download DBAN? The original location is dead, and I try to avoid freshmeat (known for adding malware to installation programs).

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

If you google 'dban' then the second one down should be from SourceForge. Click that then hit the green download button. DO NOT HIT ANY OTHER BUTTONS AFTER THAT. It should begin to download after a few seconds. It should be an ISO file. Once it downloads just close the page. Unfortunately DBAN does not have a digital signature (that I could find) to tell the integrity, but I got mine off of SourceForge and burned it to a USB using Rufus and it worked fine.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube