add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Vega prices over the winter? what does your crystal ball say?

raventai
  • 17 months ago

I would like to build an all AMD rig sometime this winter, my last build was a AMD Athlon and ATI Radeon 9700. yea its been a while.

A Vega 56 would probably more than meet my needs and a cheap open source free-sink monitor down the road would be a bonus.

But i am having a hard time choking down the $100 premium over a comparably performing 1070.

I wont have the budget for a RTX card but i am hoping that a new leader at the top will suppress pricing downstream? AMD does not have an answer this year or the next to the RTX. surly that means they will have to compete with value?

I cant buy yet but I am watching the market, whats your prediction? when should we see the biggest price drops? after new years? or black friday? other?

Comments

• 17 months ago
  • 3 points

surly that means they will have to compete with value?

To be honest AMD was not competing on value with the 56 or 64 either, seemingly more expensive then the Nvidia counterparts, which more often then not lead the AMD GPU's. Of course saving grace was the FreeSync + AMD GPU still tended to be slightly cheaper on balance then Nvidia + G-Sync combo.

I see a slight depression in prices, really should be on parity with similar 10 series cards, but the new cards, at least initial models are in a different playground in terms of specs really. With that said, looking at prices now for US at least, seem to have some Vega 56 SKU's around the $400 mark, with 1070's seemingly coming in just few $ below for the non-mini versions.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/cKhKHx/sapphire-radeon-rx-vega-56-2gb-pulse-video-card-11276-02-40g said GPU also comes with game voucher: https://www.amd.com/en/gaming/featured-games so could be nice value add, more so if you were planning to pick up Assasins creed Odyssey or something.

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

Supply on the Vega cards also didn't recover as fast or as much as Nvidia cards after the mining rush, partially due to the price and availability of HBM2 memory. I could see some drop, but I doubt it will ever be priced as low as the Nvidia counterparts.

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

My crystal ball says wait for Navi or go nVidia

• 17 months ago
  • 2 points

I'd have to agree, although I'd include an option for the 570/580 in there as well.

I wouldn't count on Navi to make it out in 2019, AMD has been rather quiet on that area.

• 17 months ago
  • 2 points

The RX 580 is a good option still

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the tip on the rx580, I had discounted it at first as it lags so far behind in benchmarks, but I spent some time looking deeper and it appears to do quite well at 1080 high settings and I can live with that for now. My build price needs some fat trimmed from it anyway.

Thank you

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube