add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

I've experienced artifacts for the first time ever. Is that bad? (on Dota 2)

Chu4Lyfe
  • 20 months ago

What are the odds I get artifacts for Dota 2 ;D lol (Valve please send me a beta code now for that haha)

Story: ~ So while playing Dota 2 today, I noticed that I was getting some odd artifacts on the bottom of my monitor. --> Picture 1

I thought it was my monitor, but then I went into the Dota main menu and went back in-game and saw that the artifacts changed position and shape. --> Picture 2

After we finished our game, and I got off Dota, the artifacts were gone. I guess. This is the first time it happened to me. Other important things I should mention are that could help is

• I was getting low FPS for some reason a few days ago on Dota so I uninstalled it (was on m.2 drive) and reinstalled it to a different SSD, It also boots faster on the non m.2 SSD.....
  • As stated above, the game loaded faster and was running fine again.
  • Since Shadow of the Tomb Raider came out recently, I was having problems running it. It was stuttering and so I tried many different options. I updated my nVidia drivers and it worked then gives me stuttering BS again. I usually only run very high graphics on games like Tomb Raider and stuff.
  • I did not OC my graphics card today, I used a preset option from the stupid ASUS gpu tweak 2 for Tomb Raider but thats about it. [Edit]--> I also forgot to mention that I do run high/very high settings when I can on games that aren't too demanding such as Dota 2.
  • Screenshot ingame

System Specifications are:

• i7-5820K@4.0GHz
  • 16GB RAM
  • ASUS Strix OC GTX 1080 8GB
  • Monitor 1: ASUS PG279Q
  • Monitor 2: ASUS PG278Q (I don't think the monitors are bad)

Any help is appreciated, Thanks!

Comments

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

If it hasn't happened since, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Maybe check thermals on your GPU? Do you have a fan curve on it right now?

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Hi sorry for the late reply. Max GPU average today was @ 51 degrees Celsius. I did not have a fan curve. That may be the problem, I'm not entirely sure. Apparently, the ASUS GPUTweak2 program has this '0dB fan' mode that will only turn the fans on when it reaches a certain point of being hot.

This may be the reason why Shadow of the Tomb Raider was running really bad on DX12 and I had to use DX11. I'll have to test this out with the fan being on all the time.

(I'm gonna copy something from a reddit thread I posted)

=====

The video of me launching Dota 2

--> https://imgur.com/6sg5rEe

I tried launching Dota 2, and it would launch and then alt-tab me out. I'd see the main menu but my screen would just freeze. So I tried several more times and noticed the artifacts and stuff as seen in the video. I decided to get my phone out and record to see if it would happen again and it did. What shall I do?

I've put my GPU on stock settings with no OC or anything. I don't think it worked. I decided to turn off the 'OdB fan' setting so that my GPU can always run on. I don't know why its turned off on stock settings. I can only make that setting if I use OC/Gaming/Silent mode. Anyway, I still get the same issue.

It's odd because Dota 2 is the only game that has this problem. Last few days I played Dota 2 just fine, but it felt like I had noticed some small artifacts that would go away if I noticed it (i guess, I don't know how to really explain).

This was my topic last week -

https://www.reddit.com/r/techsupport/comments/9h106y/ive_experienced_artifacts_for_the_first_time_ever/

Edit - Also, heres a second clip of whats happening to videos on YouTube (example).

https://youtu.be/0vnzVotUiqI

I tried Firefox, the video works, Google chrome does not work (imgur and YouTube was not showing up even after a restart).

I played CSGO today for about 3 hours, no problems. average GPU temp was around 52 Celsius if that helps

Thanks!

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, it seems unlikely it's the thermals. If it's only happening with Dota 2, it might be some freak issue with your GPU and Dota. Did you end up resolving issues in Shadow of the Tomb Raider?

Replacing the GPU might fix the problem, it's just whether or not you feel that would be worth the money/effort.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Tomb Raider finally works in DX12 again. I really do think it was the fan problem thing. I think I'm just going to keep it on all the time.

Dota I will just have to see, it only has a freak problem if I launch it after playing other games.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Might be thermals, but if it is only happening in a beta test there is always the chance that they are simply software bugs. I've never seen anything like that thanks to software, though (any pointer bad enough to write to video ram is bad enough to crash the whole program).

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Hi sorry for the late reply, it might be because the default settings did not allow the GPU to have fans spinning if it didnt reach a certain temperature... Check the reply above for more info.

Thanks!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube