add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

HYPED FOR THE NEW ATHLON

ssjg5rlly
  • 17 months ago

That's gonna wipe Intel's budget series on the floor. I hope.

Comments

• 17 months ago
  • 3 points

Doesn't seem remotely interested in doing so. The motherboard is just as expensive as a 2200G. The memory is a big issue: you might get away with a single channel, but expect it to be as slow or slower than the Intel. The Intel has superior graphics thanks to just how many Vega cores are turned off: you need at least twice as many cores on to match Intel.

There's also the cost to AMD. These athlons are almost certainly full-scale Raven-Ridge cores. We don't know how busy GF is and if it makes any sense for AMD to bother changing the masks to cut down Raven-Ridge for these cheap cores (masks are expensive). Zepplin (which still make Epyc processors, which should be selling well thanks to Intel product shortages) costs as much to manufacture. Pinacle Ridge (2xxx Ryzen) might cost a touch more (same size, slightly better process) but roughly the same.

The really irritating thing about the chip is that so many Vega cores are turned off I expect Intel to have a significantly better IGP. That doesn't make sense when buying a cheap AMD chip. My guess is that they are steering as many customers toward that $99 2200G product as they can.

This isn't the "old AMD" that had to bottomfeed in the market and let you try your luck unlocking cores that may have been locked thanks to market segmentation or may have simply failed. This is an AMD where every "cheap chip" comes at the cost of producing a server chip that might well sell in place of an Intel chip*. AMD might lock those Vega cores to keep demand low.

• actually this would be the 1xxx chips, especially the 13xx ones. On the other hand, AMD just might keep making all kinds of Raven Ridge chips in production even after the 7nm chips are available thanks to deals with GloFo. Of course we won't know that until the consumer 7nm chips ship, which might be well into 2020.
  • 17 months ago
  • 2 points

Vega 3 beats Pentium's IGPU, that's all I know.

70 FPS CS:GO (Ultra)

60 FPS Rocket League (Low :()

40 FPS Fortnite (low/medium)

100 FPS LOL (Ultra)

70 FPS Dota 2 (High?)

Synthetic Benchmarks. I think.

• 17 months ago
  • 2 points

Yes Gilroar's link shows that.

https://www.techspot.com/review/1698-amd-athlon-200ge/page3.html

For $55, i guess the new entry level king!

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

I can't wait to try overwatch.

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes, and TDP rating is also very low, even with that cut down Vega IGP chip with 3CUs (5th gen. GCN)

Only 35. Huh! lol

So with less than $300, you get a pretty decent Office PC.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
Motherboard Gigabyte - GA-A320M-S2H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard $50.01 @ Amazon
Memory G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2666 Memory $69.99 @ Newegg
Storage Kingston - A400 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $43.04 @ Amazon
Case Cooler Master - MasterBox Lite 3.1 MicroATX Mid Tower Case $31.82 @ Amazon
Power Supply EVGA - BT 450W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $24.49 @ Newegg
Case Fan Thermaltake - CL-F011-PL12BL-A 41.0 CFM 120mm Fan $5.39 @ OutletPC
Case Fan Thermaltake - CL-F011-PL12BL-A 41.0 CFM 120mm Fan $5.39 @ OutletPC
Other Athlon 200GE $55.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $285.13
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-09-18 13:05 EDT-0400
  • 17 months ago
  • 1 point

Are memory prices dropping? That's a pretty good deal.

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

Type Item Price
Motherboard Gigabyte - GA-A320M-S2H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard $50.01 @ Amazon
Memory G.Skill - Value 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory $67.98 @ Newegg
Storage Crucial - BX500 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $28.79 @ Adorama
Case Rosewill - SRM-01 MicroATX Mini Tower Case $19.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply EVGA - BQ 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $39.99 @ Amazon
Other AMD Athlon 200 GE $55.00
Total $261.76
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-09-18 14:17 EDT-0400

If you wanted a chromebook-like linux desktop, then...

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh, I thought Gilroar said that it's GPU performance was low. I can't read.

• 17 months ago
  • 2 points

Yeah he said this:

It also wasn't tested with a discrete graphics card which giving its CPU testing performance is likely to lag behind the G5400/G4560 so again not very inspiring.

And that should be true actually. :)

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

Both are actually low the testing was done at 720P and medium settings.

It is better then Intel integrated but that doesn't make it very good either pulling a little more then half the frame rates of a 2200G.

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

oh

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

Is it possible to unlock them?

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't think AMD has included unlockable parts since Bulldozer. I know you can't unlock CPUs (you've pretty much always been allowed until then, but none of those chips were competitive without the silicon lottery tickets anyway. I can't see them letting you unlock Vega cores, either (I'm almost positive you can't unlock a Vega56 to a Vega64).

• 17 months ago
  • 2 points

In my opinion, it would only do so if overclockable, and it isn't, so the use case will honestly depend on the performance of the iGPU in regular tasks and lighter games like Dota

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

Athlon 200GE will probably compete but not dominate. I think the best bet for the 200GE market is businesses and people needing a temporary chip for Ryzen 7.

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

It does compete with the G4560, which can make it a viable CPU.

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

Hardware Unboxed already released benchmarks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCDJERMTL3s

On the CPU side it isn't as powerful as a g5400. On the GPU side it does pull ahead and this make it perfect for what it is intended for. An Esport gaming rig. You won't have any problems running League of Legends, Dota 2, Or even Overwatch with the right settings. The price is what makes this thing good. $10 below the MSRP of the g5400 and $15 below it's current price. Pair this with a $50 a320 board, 4-8gb of ram. A 240gb SSD, A cheap case and a cheap but reliable PSU and you got one heck of a htpc/esports rig.

Type Item Price
Motherboard MSI - B350 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard $49.99 @ Newegg
Memory GeIL - EVO POTENZA 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory $68.98 @ Newegg
Storage Inland - 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $39.99 @ Amazon
Case Raidmax - Ninja II ATX Mid Tower Case $25.98 @ Newegg Business
Power Supply EVGA - BT 450W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $24.49 @ Newegg
Other 200GE Purchased For $55.00
Total (before mail-in rebates) $279.43
Mail-in rebates -$15.00
Total $264.43
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-09-18 13:03 EDT-0400
  • 17 months ago
  • 2 points

Really needs faster RAM like any APU, the tests in that video were run with 2667@cl14 RAM.

• 17 months ago
  • 0 points

That's gonna wipe Intel's budget series on the floor.

Doubtful the integrated graphics performance is low. CPU performance is Meh mostly falling behind a current Pentium. You cannot overclock it to gain more performance. And it is only available as OEM/tray CPU as it was intended for OEM/SI to use for prebuilt PC so you need a CPU cooler.

About the only thing that can be said for it is most of the time it beats a Bristol Ridge which isn't setting a very high bar to beat.

https://www.techspot.com/review/1698-amd-athlon-200ge/

It also wasn't tested with a discrete graphics card which giving its CPU testing performance is likely to lag behind the G5400/G4560 so again not very inspiring.

Edit: May also be a bug but that review has it unable to use RAM frequencies above 2667mhz which is only going to lower its CPU and IGPU performance.

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

And it is only available as OEM/tray CPU as it was intended for OEM/SI to use for prebuilt PC so you need a CPU cooler.

The review said they only had the OEM/tray for review, but the retail versions will come with a cooler.

• 17 months ago
  • 0 points

AMD launched it as OEM use along with the newer PRO series CPU.

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

From the article...

Before wrapping this up a quick note on temperatures, though please note these are not official results as we only got an OEM tray CPU and not a retail version with the box cooler.

• 17 months ago
  • 0 points

Doesn't mean that they are going to launch a PIB model though. Everything at the event was OEM systems and the new models AMD is launching for OEM.

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

Doesn't mean that they are going to launch a PIB model though. Everything at the event was OEM systems and the new models AMD is launching for OEM.

Your basing your statements on what was seen at the even, not any facts, and ignoring what the article you posted said.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube