add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Affordable replacement GPU recommendation?

Kahrkura
  • 18 months ago

Hello,

I’m looking to replace my gaming PC’s current GPU (AMD Radeon HG 5800 Series) with one that would meet the minimum requirements for games like The Witcher 3, Ghost Recon: Wildlands, and Fallout 4 (and possibly Fallout 76 once its out). From what I’ve been able to find out I’d need one with 2GB of dedicated video ram, as opposed to the 1GB my current one has. I’m not particularly tech savvy; my limited PC tinkering extends to the one time I had to swap out the fan in my GPU and replace my hard drive.

Budget: Low, ambiguous, but flexible if necessary. I really can’t afford any substantial upgrades to my PC at the moment, but when I can I’ll likely replace the entire thing. The lower the cost the better.

Primary use: Gaming, usually at 1680x1050 resolution

System Model (Motherboard?): FX6831

Power supply: 750W (FSP750-80APG)

Processor: Intel Core i7-860 CPU @ 2.80GHz (CPU probably also needs an upgrade, but baby steps)

RAM: 16.0GB (don’t know the details)

I’d prefer for recommendations to be available for purchase at amazon.ca (friend has Prime) or NCIX (there’s one within walking distance from me). Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

If lower cost is the primary concern then you could get away with even a GT 1030 or RX 550 and lower-minimum settings.

Although you might want to check out the used market there have been a bunch of RX 560 available for good prices that would gi e you a decent performance boost.

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

Be careful of the GT1030 as you will likely see benchmarks comparisons for the GDDR5 based boards and see DDR4 (which are half as fast) boards for sale.

I'd second the used (especially AMD) market, but try to get one that wasn't a miner favorite. 1680x1050 resolution makes things considerably easier, but the real entry level cards will probably require tuning the graphics down on the latest games.

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

Even the DDR4 version is going to be an upgrade AMD has not supported the current graphics in several years.

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

It might be an upgrade but don't buy the thing based on the GDDR5 scores unless you are sure the thing has GDDR5.

Pcpartpicker has separate choices for GT1030 (~$100 to ~$85) and GT1030 DDR4 (~$90-$70). But it looks like the AMD RX550(640) might be the better all around deal (I suspect it eats more power, but that shouldn't be a problem unless Dell was being too Dellish. Check for available power connectors on the power supply).

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

Its Canadian pricing not U.S.

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

That changes things slightly, in that a GDDR5 1030 might run $110CAD, a RX550(512) might run $125CAD and a RX550(640) $135.

I'm less convinced that there is a clear advantage to the (512) AMD, so I'd happily go with the 1030 (but make sure it has GDDR5). But this is in no way like UK pricing where the AMD cards are completely priced out of the market.

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

Aside from the radically better efficiency and DX12 support, I would not expect much difference in actual GPU power between an HD5850 and a GT 1030 / RX 550.

Not recommended as an "upgrade."

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

If it cannot run the titles that the poster needs even if it is better performance a lesser product that can run the titles is still an upgrade.

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

Okay...

Even if we can somehow adopt that rationalization we're left with the horrific value proposition of the GT 1030, where $20 more buys twice as much GPU power in the form of an RX560.

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

It is Canadian pricing and $75.

I’d prefer for recommendations to be available for purchase at amazon.ca (friend has Prime) or NCIX (there’s one within walking distance from me).

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
Video Card *Gigabyte - GeForce GT 1030 2GB Silent Low Profile Video Card $104.99 @ Amazon Canada
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $104.99
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-09-16 08:25 EDT-0400

Or.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
Video Card *Asus - Radeon RX 560 - 896 4GB Video Card $179.99 @ Mike's Computer Shop
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $179.99
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-09-16 08:26 EDT-0400
  • 18 months ago
  • 1 point

right....

I'll just crawl back over in my corner now...

(but continue to despite the 1030)

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

Isn't NCIX dead?

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

Thought so, they went bankrupt. Their website appears to still be up though, so maybe someone bought them or the name. Last I knew no brick and mortar retail stores remain open though.

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

Didn't know that. I suppose that would no longer be an option for me anymore.

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

GT 1030 starts around $110 CAD, and the RX 550 at about $130 CAD equivalent; personal preference is 550
Gigabyte Radeon RX 550 2G
Gigabyte GT 1030 2GB GDDR5
GTX 1050 and RX 560: starting about $170 and $185 CAD respectively; personal preference is 560
1050 2GB
MSI RX 560 4G OC
The GTX 1050 Ti is priced starting at around $240 CAD.
EVGA 1050 Ti 4GB
You're slightly sub-1080p and the 1050 & 1050 Ti cards can do fairly well at your resolution, the Ti model being fairly superior. I think the premium would be worth it for the Ti, 4GB is a bare minimum in my opinion. The RX 560 performs marginally worse than the 1050, but in modern games may do better with its' 4gb of vram, and may bring it to a near tie between the two. Cheaper options are the GDDR5 GT 1030, or the RX 550 which performs better (as aforementioned, the GT 1030 is available in a DDR4 model which you don't want, and the RX 550 comes in a few configurations BTW I deleted my comment twice cuz I screwed up formatting lol

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube