add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Best "motherboard per dollar"?

Baipass
  • 18 months ago

Hi, I'm wondering if anyone could suggest me a motherboard which is mid to high range in performance and has a sweet spot in the price for the functions it provides. I have a GTX 1060 6 gigs asus version and I would like a motherboard which would do good enough with that card after 5 years. I heard AMD provides better budget options these days, so a processor with the same criteria mentioned above would be nice. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• 18 months ago
  • 2 points

Motherboard should not be a consideration until you establish what uses and your performance desires are for those uses and choose a CPU based on those needs.

Then pick a graphics card that can achieve your quality goals at your desired resolution and frame rate.

The motherboard ties everything together but without the desired performance established in the beginning by the CPU you are most likely not going to have the PC for 5 years.

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

Fullhd monitor, good connectivity (fast and less inyerruptable internet) , possibility to upgrade to other components when their price drops after 2-3 years. That's why i need advice on a motherboard which is relatively future proof. I am thinking of buying mid range components now, but i know they will become more of a low range after few years. So I just need a motherboard that will be able to be compatible with the midrange components years from now. Hence my question which motherboard is the most worth it for the future proofness it provides. I really haven't researched the market that's why I'm asking.

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

That's why i need advice on a motherboard which is relatively future proof.

No real world way to gain that currently.

The longest lived platform option is going to see two newer generations before that time frame and each new generation locks features from older products.

Things like Graphics cards will be replaceable until they start require Gen 4 or Gen 5 in which case nothing out currently will work.

Even RAM is scheduled to change over to DDR5 within the next couple of years so even that lasting is in question.

When it comes to "Future Proofing" the only way to do it is build the best you can fit within budget Now, because when you get to the point where an upgrade is needed You will find that what you purchased in order to "Future Proof" Yourself is an obsolete platform and not worth building on further even if there are parts which still can be updated.

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

To an embarrassing degree, all a motherboard does is give a means of tying the processor, the RAM, the video card, and some means to plug in various stuff from the outside together. The "quality" comes down to features and reliability. If you are pushing overclocking, expect to require deeper reserves in power supplies and signal quality (which is generally along the lines of the reliability budget).

Choose the CPU first (and AMD has an additional advantage in that it should allow you a chance to upgrade the CPU again. If you are going on a five year plan, there should be a few more AM4 compatible CPUs being designed. Just grab one when they go on clearance in 2021 or whatever.

The only other thing to watch for in motherboards is the number of RAM slots. RAM seems to be on a high cycle right now and you want to be able to add more when it goes low without removing/selling the RAM you already have. 4 RAM slots should help.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube