add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

GPU Alternatives?

HamFather
  • 17 months ago

Sorry if this question is in the wrong forum, but i was wondering if there was something out there for desktops to be used for video out if there are no integrated graphics. With the possible release of the Ryzen 7 2700E, 8 cores 16 threads and a 45W TDP, I really want to make a portable workstation that could fit in the pocket of my cargo pants. I have my eye on the Streacom - F1CWS Evo HTPC Case and I've seen some cool builds in this case with the Ryzen 5 2400G, I'm also aware I could go with the i7-8700T but I would really like use of those extra cores and threads.

There might not be anything and that's okay, I'm not looking for case suggestions or other CPU suggestions, I'm mostly curious if there is something out there that can be used for video out that is smaller than a GPU for a processor with no on board graphics.

Thanks!

Comments

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

I really want to make a portable workstation that could fit in the pocket of my cargo pants.

I'm not sure if you're literally attempting this, but if so, you must have pretty big pockets to be able to accommodate the footprint of a mini-ITX board (plus the rest of this particular case's bulk).

There are video output options via USB and other such solutions. These can work for sufficiently light use. Do be sure that you select one that supports plug+play, since you might not have an alternative video output option available for setup. These video dongles can be pretty small.

There are also external GPU solutions for USB-C and particularly snappy options, but these are going to significantly increase the size of the setup, and may pose compatibility issues. (Having the correct port is not sufficient to guarantee compatibility, let alone plug+play usability.)

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

I think you have to choose between Intel and Raven Ridge for any sort of conventional GPU-less system. You can look for AMD ITX boards with built-in graphics, but expect anything claiming such to be "with a Raven Ridge or other ALU". Old school bulldozer motherboads did have built in graphics, and there might be a Ryzen board out there with same, but don't count on it with an ITX board where every square inch counts.

For less conventional systems you might try to pull a "remote desktop" via an internal second lightweight computer (graphics performance will be worse, but expect to lose all hope of graphics performance without a GPU). Raspberry Pies are an obvious choice, but I wouldn't count on them to run conventional "remote desktop" systems (but look there first). Windows claims a "windows port" to raspberry pi computers, see if it can run a remote desktop.

https://betanews.com/2016/05/19/udoo-x86-10x-more-powerful-than-raspberry-pi-3/ [second choice. Presumably runs all the software you need]

To be honest, I'd seriously consider raspberry pi's stronger competitors in building a "computer I can stick in my pocket". Don't expect anything that can run with an i3 or 2200G in performance if you go that route (unless you are going for 64 threads or similar "embarrassingly parallel" routes). But at least it will fit in a only slightly unreasonable pocket.

For less conventional means, consider "external laptop GPUs". These are a royal pain, but might get things done.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube