add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

which vega 56 brand w/ good cooling low noise but the least power consumtion??

favourxyz

16 months ago

juat want to save some money for the bill. heard vega so power hungry. no plan for oc. only want good fps 1080p 144hz freesync while waiting better gpu from amd (navi<?>).

Comments

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

I wouldn't buy Vega right now. The cheapest Vega 56 is 404.99 while a GTX 1080 is just 25 dollars more at 429.99. Even with a freesync monitor the difference in performance is pretty hard to justifiy not going for the 1080.

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

I wouldn't worry too much about which brand you buy. They are pretty much all the same.

If you want to go this route look up powerplay tables that crypto miners use to lower their voltage via registry settings. Simply Googling Vega powerplay tables should point you in the right direction.

I've done this to my Vega's. I am mining on them, but I've extensively used my XFX Vega 56 for gaming with the lower powerplay settings and it being flashed to Vega 64 bios. I actually get better performance and less thermal throttling at the lower voltage settings.

EDIT: BTW my Vega's only use 150-180 watts with reduced voltages.

If you decide to flash your Vega to 64 from 56 make sure that it has Samsung ram and not Hynix. Hynix HBM2 can not handle the same timings.

Why AMD releases these cards over-volted is beyond me. I've got 6 Vega's and none of them have had any issues running full-bore 24/7 at lower voltages. So, I don't really buy the excuse that they have high voltage due to silicon lottery issues.

One upside to buying a Vega is they are one of the only cards left that are still profitable for mining =)

EDIT: Btw Vega's only use 150-180 watts with reduced power settings.

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

"If you decide to flash your Vega to 64 from 56 make sure that it has Samsung ram and not Hynix. Hynix HBM2 can not handle the same timings. " mind explaining? im not mining btw. how do you know its ram samsung or hynix? any brand that definitely use samsung ram?

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

You can flash the bios from a Vega 64 on to a Vega 56. Essentially, unlocking untapped potential in the Vega 56 and making its performance closer to its bigger brother.

All of the blower style cards that are AMD reference design had Samsung ram on them. As for other cards you will just have to read reviews and see what type of ram people are saying they are getting. Once you have a card you can check the ram type with the GPU-Z application.

If you get a Hynix card it's not the end of the world. They perform fine, but if you try to flash the reference 64 bios (that used Samsung ram) onto the Hynix card it won't be able to handle the same speed. In fact, it probably won't even let you flash it at all. This issue is simply that the ram brand is different so it won't work.

If you can find a Vega 64 that uses Hynix ram you can flash that cards bios over. I've just personally never looked for one. I don't know if any Vega 64's were made with Hynix or if they all had Samsung. Last I checked, which was over 6 months ago, all Vega 64's had Samsung. Someone else may be able to answer that.

Not being able to flash isn't that big of a deal. The Vega 56 actually has tighter timings on it's ram than the Vega 64. You will probably just only be able to get the ram up to 900-950mhz, while a Vega 64 with loser timings will get up to 1100mhz, and sometimes even up to 1200mhz with an unlocked SoC.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube