add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Overpriced AMD Radeon cards

NerdyTurd
  • 19 months ago

So yesterday, I bought this bad boy of a monitor (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0158L13M4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) for a PS4 and for later use with my PC and it has Freesync, and I'm willing to take advantage of that.

However, I've noticed that (it might just be in the UK?) but the Radeon 560 / 570 / 580 cards are pretty overpriced. For example, the cheapest 1060 3gb is £187 (and the 1060 3gb is quite a bit of an upgrade to the 570) but the cheapest 570 is £210 and not even a decent one. For a decent 570, you'd have to pay £238.

Why are they so much higher priced? I was quite looking forward to being able to use FreeSync but if they're still overpriced in 2019 I'm gonna have to go the Nvidia route, probably with a 1050 Ti.

Comments

• 19 months ago
  • 2 points

Memory pricing adds more component costs

Radeons need more expensive coolers overall (580 models will often use the same models as GTX 1080 from many companies that produce both brands).

GTX cards were the first dropped by miners and in greater numbers then the RX cards.

AMD had halted production in order to replace the 500 series cards with a Vega model but the supply side disruptions coupled with massively higher production costs on the Vega cores killed that off, so supply of their cards dried up for awhile during the height of mining demand.

Since mining demand ceased the majority of shipments have gone to U.S. markets because the APAC market was flooded with mining cards and they are trying to avoid unsold new stock with ready availability of used cards.

In that budget range (1060 3gb/6gb) NVidia took back a large number of chips from manufacturers canceling orders towards the end of the mining bust.

Pick your reason there are hundreds but at the end of the day it sadly is what it sadly is and they cost more.

• 19 months ago
  • 2 points

There have been tales of nvidia dumping stock on their board partners, best guess is that is what is happening. According to the infallible wiki, the 570/580 are built on 232mm2 of 14nm process while the nvidia is made on 200mm2 of 16nm process (which are close enough to be the same, these numbers don't tell you all that much), so cost to manufacture might as well be the same (not so with Vega and HBM2).

After a quick check, it appears a UK market issue. Here are the prices in the states (topmost selected): 1060 (3G): $215 570: $215 580: $229 1060 (6G) $278

Can't tell you when economics, politics, and marketing will come to their senses. In the US, the 580 is the obvious choice. I mentioned the used market, but used 570s and 580s are some of the most heavily used mining cards out there, it might make more sense to simply jump to a used 1080 (less loved mining card as it is hungry for electricity).

This looks "too good to be true", but appears to be the only "US pricing" in the EU, I'd think you can get it before brexit is official. https://de.pcpartpicker.com/product/RX7CmG/asus-radeon-rx-570-4gb-rog-strix-video-card-rog-strix-rx570-o4g-gaming

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube