add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

TV instead of a PC Monitor?

NerdyTurd
  • 21 months ago

I've noticed that PC monitors are pretty expensive, and I was wondering if a TV would be cheaper than a PC monitor and would be worth it over a monitor? And is there any way to get a TV working for a PC?

Comments

• 21 months ago
  • 2 points

Most TV's have a pretty low refresh rate, and a pretty high response latency. This could cause a problem if you play many high pased action games like CSGO and PUBG but it should be fine if you only play more casual, laid back games such as No Mans Sky or Terraria.

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

Ah, okay. I play mostly casual games, but I do intend to play a wider range of games when I build my own PC, as I'm a little limited to what I can actually play with my laptop's specs.

Thanks for the help!

• 21 months ago
  • 2 points

If you want an affordable monitor, look for 1080p and 60hz ones. Look into Asus, they have better color accuracy. If you have sensitive eyes like me, make sure it is flickering free.

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks! I do have quite sensitive eyes, and I've been looking into this monitor. I've a read a few reviews of it and its 30-75Hz, 1080p and 1ms response time. It also has an Anti Blue Light thing, which is good for me because my eyes are quite sensitive to bright lights.

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/hqmxFT/aoc-monitor-g2260vwq6 https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0158L13M4/?tag=pcp0f-21

I also don't want to spend that much on a monitor, as they're very expensive, although I might extend my budget a little more in the future.

Thanks for all the help! :)

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

When you attach a TV to a computer you have to be careful about latency and framerate. Things to look for are "refresh rate" "refresh rate technology" and "game mode".

Ideally it will include reviews of people who have used it as a monitor, or at least attached a console to it. Even if you aren't gaming, you don't want to mouse to respond with a lot of lag (even wimpy cards should be able to do non-gaming things at 4k@60Hz, although your notebook's HDMI interface might be an issue). Basically anything with 60Hz response rate and a "game mode" should be fine (although read all the fine print to make sure that "60Hz" means 60Hz and not slapping some motion blur on a 60Hz signal displaying 30Hz. Until recently that was the common case among potential 4k TV monitors).

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

Wow, thanks! I will do that :) Currently, I have not found any TV's cheaper than monitors, which is good (I suppose) as monitors would be better for gaming for me :)

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube