add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

is compressed air 100% air?

Memo1010
  • 21 months ago

^

I have a can of electronic cleaning spray stuff a friend gave me to clean some old parts (which he also gave me), anyways there's a bunch of warnings all over it about chemicals and frostbite and stuff, and no where does it say ''compressed air". Is this compressed air? Is compressed air dangerous? Is compressed air just air?

Comments

• 21 months ago
  • 2 points

Those cans actually aren't filled with compressed air. They contain a mixture of several liquified gases, hence the warning about frostbite. Make sure to keep the can straight, else it might spit liquid gas that will evaporate within a few seconds.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gas_duster

• 21 months ago
  • 2 points

One question: What is air?

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

Read the label... Some are compressed co2, others are crazy chemical combinations.

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

The frostbite thing is real. I used to shake it and than spray my brother with it. Its cold as hell.

[comment deleted]
  • 20 months ago
  • 2 points

I gotta hand it to you, that sounds like it can be a cool experience that's worth mentioning.

(Can you find all the instances of wordplay?)

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Lmao how did that happen?

[comment deleted]
  • 20 months ago
  • 1 point

ripppp.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

The gasses used are different -fluoroethanes. Either Di-, Tri-, or Tetra-.

The reason these are used, is because they are easily compressed into liquids which means you can store more volume in the can. Air itself turns to liquid at FAR too high a pressure to put in a can like this and if you only used compressed air, you would only get one small burst and then the can would be empty.

These compounds, when inhaled, have a psychoactive effect. This is why people abuse the cans as a drug. Obviously this is really horrible for you, and WILL do permanent brain damage. The way these chemicals affect the brain causes you to become a totally different person, often never completely returning to the person you once were. Scary stuff. To prevent people from doing this, a bitter flavor is added to the cans. This bitterant is typically denatonium which is a benzoate.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

guess I should stop huffing it now then

(ofc I didn't actually do that)

• 21 months ago
  • 0 points

As is common with surface-level explanations, you'll always find inaccuracies if your "nitpicker" is set to be sufficiently sensitive. Anyhow, here you go:

Imagine putting dry ice in a container that can actually handle its vapor pressure, and add a controllable valve.

Generally, you want a more controllable release of gas and to have a vapor pressure low enough to be stored safely in a relatively cheap container, so some sort of mixture of less volatile (under typical conditions) materials is chosen.

This could theoretically be done directly with "normal" air, but generally isn't worth it. Air is a mixture of various gases (and of course, LN2 and dry ice, among others, would certainly require an expensive release system and container or sufficiently large supply) and typically contains many impurities. One noteworthy one is water, which would not contribute much to the total pressure within a sealed container under typical conditions, and those conditions would not allow for a purely gaseous release.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube