add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

AMD FX-6300 Upgrade Options

sb99nufc
  • 21 months ago

Hi, I'm new here and was just wondering what people think is the best to do with my current build and whether its time for something newer.

I currently have an AMD FX-6300 paired with a GTX 750TI (not the newest I know!) and 8GB RAM.

I have a budget of about £150-£250 and play mainly racing sims; RaceRoom, Rfactor2, the F1 Series, Assetto Corsa (and the new one when it comes out!) and PCars2. They all run okay at the minute, but aren't on Max settings. I'm looking to try and futureproof a little as well when I'm upgrading.

Thanks.

Comments

• 21 months ago
  • 4 points

Biggest upgrade you do is upgrade that 750ti to a 1050ti or a 1060 3GB if the power supply allows it. Then save up for a cpu, mobo ddr4 ram and maybe an ssd to if you haven't one already.

• 21 months ago
  • 4 points

I agree, do NOT invest anything in an old FX build that can't be moved to a new build. Video card upgrades are awesome as when you are ready to build a new PC you can move the video card to the new PC. The GTX 1060 3gb is a nice card that is in between a GTX 1050 ti and GTX 1060 6gb.

• 20 months ago
  • 2 points

If you get sufficient performance by turning down visuals (and not lowering simulation quality) than you have more than enough CPU to do the job (which is a good thing, as it might blow the budget).

PCars2 seems to like nvidia cards. Assetto Corsa appears to work well with even what you have (but is due for an upgrade). Didn't look up the rest, but either of these cards should do wonders for what you are looking for.

• apparently AMD cards are overpriced in the UK. No idea why.
  • 20 months ago
  • 1 point

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 5 1400 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor £101.99 @ Aria PC
Motherboard Gigabyte - B450M DS3H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard £68.40 @ Aria PC
Memory Team - Vulcan 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3000 Memory £78.27 @ CCL Computers
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total £248.66
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-09-07 15:49 BST+0100

That's about the most you could get on the CPU side, and allows for upgrading the CPU later. You still probably won't get max settings, but the experience should be smoother.

For max FPS, you would be looking at a 1050 ti/RX580/1060. This wouldn't help with your future upgrade plans but would help with graphical fidelity and FPS now.

All this assumes you have a decent PSU though.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube