add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Trying to find a new cheap but good motherboard to use for my i7-4790k

MigDmoney
  • 21 months ago

any motherboard that i have chosen with the lga 1150 socket on pc part picker always comes up with a potential issue that reads "Some Intel B85 chipset motherboards may need a BIOS update prior to using Haswell Refresh CPUs. Upgrading the BIOS may require a different CPU that is supported by older BIOS revisions" so I was wondering what that exactly means and which motherboard would be best to get for that problem

Comments

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

you should get a Z97 MOBO

that's the easiest way to avoid any trouble and to overlcock

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

It basically means that before you can use that CPU on that motherboard, you may have to update the BIOS. This is because the motherboard might not natively support the CPU, but instead was made for a previous generation. To avoid this issue, either find a different CPU which is natively supported on any motherboard BIOS version and use that to update the BIOS, or simply get a Z97 motherboard.

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

okay, the only thing is that i dont have the money to change my cpu and i just want to change my motherboard because the pc i have now was a prebuilt asus and the motherboard inside it has like cords that are taped onto the case so i just want to buy a new case and new motherboard and just basically transfer my pc to that new case

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

i actually have my older i3 cpu that i upgraded about a year ago. that would work to update the bios right?

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

Not necessarily. What i3 is it? If it starts with a 2 or 3, it might work.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube