add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Spectrum was throttling Netflix and League of Legends as ransom for additional payment

gorkti200
  • 20 months ago

End users suffered subpar connection quality and throughput as a result. This all comes out through a court case against Spectrum in NY state over a host of bad practices. NY state is one of a few states that have taken to upholding the net neutrality rules on their own, but the majority don't, and Spectrum operates in over 40 states.

https://www.techspot.com/news/75754-spectrum-allegedly-throttled-content-providers-netflix-riot-games.html
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2018-07-31-new-york-shows-spectrum-isp-the-door-in-part-for-throttling-league-of-legends

RIP NN. This administration is ******.

Comments

• 20 months ago
  • 6 points

This administration is ******.

You can say that again.

• 20 months ago
  • 5 points

This administration is ******.

• 20 months ago
  • 3 points

This administration is ******

• 20 months ago
  • 2 points

This administration is ******

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

This is...well, unfortunately, not surprising.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Regardless of why, I am happy that they are getting the boot as long as there is competition invited in their absence and not another single company with a monopoly on most of the state...

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

The State doesn't believe in allowing regulated utilities to compete, or that was the argument back when several other suppliers were trying to move in on Time Warner Cable, they shut both Comcast and Charter out of any area TWC had a presence.

It is very sad You get one choice for Landline Phone, Cable, or Power.

Edit: NYC and the surrounding area may still have multiple choices.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

That's also part of why Fios ended expansion (as well as local agreements with the cable company that prevented others like fios).

Legally, it is not a utility though, so the reasoning is bs. Plus it makes absolute sense for utilities to compete, which is why you can even choose gas and electric providers in many areas, even if the service lines are owned by one or the other. It's all about licensing deals like the smaller cell phone carriers do to use the larger networks bandwidth for reduced prices.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Yup but it is New York and they do what they want in their own little Empire.

Personally I was hoping with the end of the three men in a room government here that things would have ended but the more it changes as they say.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

The biggest man in that room shut down all the investigations after the first 2 got removed from the room... He was next.

I really hate that the Democrat alternative is a nutcase actress and there is no real challenge from the Republicans being presented. We are stuck with Das Furer it seems...

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Yup.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Spectrum is my ISP. Looks like I might try to convince my mother to switch. Anyone else know a good ISP for North idaho?

• 20 months ago
  • 0 points

Its not quite what it seems in those articles.

The governor right after they passed the merger attempted to sue Time Warner Cable for slow internet speeds and lost because they no longer existed, so then he sued Spectrum which wasn't in charge of his internet at the time and lost because they no were not responsible.

Now they are going after Spectrum for not expanding the network as planned by contract, but at the same time they are barring Spectrum from work inside the Blue Line which is where most of the homes/businesses were that they wanted to expand access.

And the expansion is not being helped by Spectrum contracting Comcast crews to expand the network when Comcast was barred from merging with Time Warner Cable before they did and is the most likely candidate to replace them.

New York at its finest.

Now I am not saying that Spectrum is in anyway right but they are being kicked out for not reaching the additional 145,000 customers. They only reached 86,000 something neither of those mention, or that the State isn't letting them tear up and replace all the old lines and equipment inside the Adirondack Park.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

A lot of what you're saying here is not relevant. The throttling and lying about throughput predates any of the expansion conflict issues.

The entire complaint is here. I cited the parts that would be most relevant to people concerned about net neutrality, that aside from lying about performance they were deliberately targeting specific companies with throttling, but yes it is a LOT more than that.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

That is the complaint filed by the state yes but it isn't why they are being removed.

http://www3.dps.ny.gov/pscweb/WebFileRoom.nsf/ArticlesByCategory/1F6E451203ADF727852582D7005F8520/%24File/pr18060.pdf?OpenElement

It has nothing to do with the commission overseeing the merger other then false advertising.

Edit: And the whole single channel modem thing is on the customer to bring in the old models to be swapped out which was a very old thing dating back well into the TWC days.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

If you would like to create a topic revolving around the broader topic of why Spectrum is being kicked out of NY state, that would be great. lol

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Just saying that the reasons given in those articles isn't the actual reason they are being removed.

The throttling they show happened between 2012 and 2015 when the companies were seperate, and the merger agreement which they are being removed over happened in 2016, and the false advertising happened even later.

Even the executive order mentioned in the article only applies after March 1st of 2018.

I hate to say they are well put together hype pieces when Spectrum is as bad as it is, but they never bothered checking basic dates on anything.

But I doubt a Comcast only market is also not going to improve anything over what we dealt with when Spectrum or TWC was here either.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Just saying that the reasons given in those articles isn't the actual reason they are being removed.

The throttling they show happened between 2012 and 2015 when the companies were seperate, and the merger agreement which they are being removed over happened in 2016, and the false advertising happened even later.

Even the executive order mentioned in the article only applies after March 1st of 2018.

I hate to say they are well put together hype pieces when Spectrum is as bad as it is, but they never bothered checking basic dates on anything.

But I doubt a Comcast only market is also not going to improve anything over what we dealt with when Spectrum or TWC was here either.

That's cool, but my post isn't about the conclusions reached in those articles, nor is it about why they are being kicked out of the state. It's about highlighting yet another example among many of ISP's being douchebags and doing exactly what they said they don't/wouldn't (and we knew they did/would).

That being said, since you're forcing this issue, the Techspot article is pretty clearly not implying what you are saying at all. If you read the first 4 paragraphs they go to great lengths to describe how this throttling/lying business was just one line of the revocation order, and first describes how they had previously reported on the actual/main reasons that you are talking about.

It then goes on to explicitly cite all the dates that you say they "never bothered checking" when talking about the actual throttling part.

According to GamesIndustry.biz, this accusation refers to a 2017 lawsuit filed against Spectrum by New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman. The complaint is a laundry list of allegations ranging from leasing customers “deficient equipment” to misleading subscribers regarding internet speeds.

One of the companies named in the suit was Netflix, which refused to pay the fees. It even offered to freely install its own equipment on Spectrum’s "last mile" to improve subscribers’ content delivery. Spectrum insisted on payment instead. The squabble continued between 2012 and 2014, during which time Spectrum never informed customers why their access to Netflix was subpar.

Riot agreed to pay Spectrum in August 2015 in hopes of lowering latency. The company, which started tracking its data in 2013, provided proof that Spectrum’s latency was well above 100ms (graph above).

The gamesindustry.biz write up also cites the throttling/performance line last, and makes clear it was just one part and only does so after running through the other parts. It references that this "is in keeping with" the executive order you mention, but that is not a statement of "the EO is the reason this happened", merely that it is spiritually consistent with the EO, which is true.

So frankly it seems like you "never bothered checking" the actual articles? Or your reading comprehension has failed you.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube