add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
Memo1010
  • 23 months ago

Back in the day I made several part lists on this site...and now years later I'm actually planning to make one.

I would probably be spending ~700 USD, can not go over 730 (well, maybe by like 2 dollars or so, but I am on a budget here!). Other information

I have a keyboard and mouse, but will need a monitor. I do gaming, mostly medium and small sized games, though I do want to get a few years out of it. I need Windows (which ever version >= 7 that is cheapest) I play minecraft with seveal mods, so at least 8gbs of RAM are needed, if possible I would like more but that might be hard to fit in the budget, otherwise at least have room to add some more later. I prefer inter and nvidia but I suppose I could go with AMD products... An SSD would be nice I guess but its not a big deal, I also want at least a TB of storage (which would be very expensive as an SSD) Some games I play: War Thunder, MC modded, Civilization V and VI, Kerbal Space Program, and a variety of easy to run games. I would like to run those games (and ones of similar size) at good framerates on graphics that will look good, and want to be able to play the latest games for a while still (which would eventually be on lower and lower settings, which I'm cool with). Over the years I have had to bear with some lesser computers so I don't want to have to do that again for a while.

Thanks!

Comments

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 5 2400G 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor $161.60 @ OutletPC
Motherboard MSI - B350M GAMING PRO Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard $60.88 @ OutletPC
Memory G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory $91.89 @ OutletPC
Storage Crucial - BX300 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $49.99 @ Amazon
Storage Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $43.85 @ OutletPC
Case Phanteks - Eclipse P300 Tempered Glass ATX Mid Tower Case $58.05 @ Newegg
Power Supply Silverstone - 300W 80+ Bronze Certified SFX Power Supply $49.99 @ Amazon
Operating System Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit $89.89 @ OutletPC
Monitor Asus - VP228H 21.5" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor $99.99 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $731.13
Mail-in rebates -$25.00
Total $706.13
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-04-18 13:17 EDT-0400

This is what I would go for. The APU should be good enough to power games decently. Unfortunately, I don't think you'll be able to get a decent discrete card at that budget really.

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

Ryzen 5 2400G 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor and MSI - B350M GAMING PRO Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard are not compatible.

• 23 months ago
  • 2 points

There's a problem with the site right now. The CPU and mobo are compatible. Both AM4 socket. Being reported by everyone, not just me.

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, it honestly scared me a bit at first until I realized it was a problem with the site.

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, it's because most AM4 motherboards will need a BIOS update for the new 2nd gen Ryzen chips. PCPP doesn't like that.

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

Since OP is on a tight budget I would go with only a HDD for now. Since it is very easy to upgrade to an SSD later. It is nice and you will notice a performance increase, however trying to save as much money as possible I would stick with just HDD for now. You can then take that money and get a better PSU. In order to put in a discrete GPU later on you will need more than a 300W unless you are capping yourself at 1050ti. Which might be fine for you, but personally I would go with something like a 430W or 500W PSU so that you can easily throw in a 1060 or something similar so that you can give your FPS a nice boost. I might also go with a cheaper case. Tempered glass and aesthetics are nice, but on a tight budget it would be better to save the money on a cheaper case and save that money or allocate it elsewhere.

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

The problem I have with that is that moving the OS from HDD to SSD is a pain from what I've heard. I personally would rather have a small SSD for my OS then add HDD as I need them.

The rest is fair enough. I didn't have upgrades in mind for some reason when picking PSU.

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

I have done it before. It isnt difficult. You unplug HDD plug in SSD go through windows install then set the boot order in BIOS to boot from SSD only and you're golden

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

Sounds good. I've never bothered with it.

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

If i were you I'd try something like this.

This will perform way better than the APUs people are suggesting. Although keep in mind this Motherboard is very bare bones and wont overclock. Its as basic as basic gets but it will do gaming at 1080p very well at medium or med-high settings at 60fps. Even AAA games will run just fine

Where as you'll barely be getting 30fps at low or low-med 1080p with an APU.

It comes complete with a discrete graphics card, a SSD, and a good after market cooler so you wont have to deal with the lame Intel stock cooler. Although if you wanted to put up with the stock cooler and save $30 you could but trust me the H7 is MUCH higher quality.

EDIT: you said you needed a monitor. Im dumb let me fix this for you. Performance should be the same. However the luxuries are gone. The snappy SSD couldnt fit in the budget and the cooler didnt quite fit in either, so we'll use the janky Intel cooler. But if you want to use that extra $30 you could get a Cryorig H7

Type Item Price
CPU Intel - Core i3-8100 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor $118.90 @ Amazon
Motherboard ASRock - H310M-HDV Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $56.99 @ SuperBiiz
Memory *Patriot - 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory $79.99 @ Amazon
Storage *Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $43.85 @ OutletPC
Video Card *Zotac - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB Mini Video Card $199.99 @ Amazon
Case Thermaltake - Core V21 MicroATX Mini Tower Case $49.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply Corsair - CXM (2015) 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $47.00 @ Amazon
Monitor Acer - V246HQL Cbd 23.6" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor $104.39 @ B&H
Total $701.10
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-04-18 16:29 EDT-0400
  • 23 months ago
  • 1 point

Alright guys thanks for all the responses, remember I do need a monitor and OS. Also I forgot to mention that I need wireless internet. If I'm asking for too much at this price then I suppose I could wait a bit longer and get more money, though I'm honestly surprised that you can't get as good a computer at this price as you used too (maybe its just my memory). Also the monitor doesn't have to be very good bc my old computer is going to someone else and I'm going to keep my current one and give him the new one (that's the plan so far anyways). I don't want to give him some crappy useless monitor, but he won't be doing any serious gaming so it can be a bit cheaper, you know.

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

there are some good builds here, but to get a good quality PC with monitor and an OS, i would say to try and save up to $1k maybe. that way you will get better quality parts all around. right now at the 700 dollar price range you are close, but you have to compromise a lot.

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, I'm gonna wait a month or so and get up to about 1k. Is it just me or has the price of computers risen a good deal since 2015? (back when I was active on this site)

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

Most definitely! Ram is far more expensive and the GPUs are still bloated due to crypto mining. Hell I saw yesterday there is possibly even a psu shortage. So yeah, 1k would be a much better fit for now.

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/LhF27W

quad core hyperthreaded cpu gtx 1050 ti 8gb of highspeed ram only missing an ssd

• 23 months ago
  • 0 points

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 3 2200G 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $94.89 @ OutletPC
Motherboard MSI - B350M GAMING PRO Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard $60.88 @ OutletPC
Memory Patriot - Viper 4 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $84.99 @ Newegg
Storage Team - L5 LITE 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $39.99 @ Newegg
Storage Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $43.85 @ OutletPC
Video Card Zotac - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB Mini Video Card $199.99 @ Amazon
Case Cougar - MX330 ATX Mid Tower Case $24.99 @ SuperBiiz
Power Supply EVGA - BT 450W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $37.89 @ OutletPC
Monitor Acer - G226HQLBbd 21.5" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor $79.99 @ Amazon
Total (before mail-in rebates) $692.46
Mail-in rebates -$25.00
Total $667.46
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-04-18 16:08 EDT-0400

Dedicated GPU, quad core(no multi threading) nice case for price and SSD

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 23 months ago
  • 1 point

So it doesnt go over his 700 dollar budget

• 23 months ago
  • 2 points

The PSU is not reviewed at all. I would avoid it.

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

I trust EVGA they make good products that have good warranties just because it doesn’t have a review doesn’t mean it’s sketchy or bad.

• 23 months ago
  • 2 points

I didn’t say it was bad. Since we have little info, I would avoid it for safety concerns.

[comment deleted]
  • 23 months ago
  • 1 point

Still doesn't have an OS...

I'm thinking I'm gonna have to wait a bit longer

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
[comment deleted by staff]
  • 23 months ago
  • 1 point

There are several programs that are not available on Linux (including several games I own and play)

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube