add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
RyanH455
  • 27 months ago

Hi all,

I'm looking at building my first PC in the next few months. This is what I have put together so far. Ideally I wanted to spend around £800 on the PC but have gone slightly over budget, although I'm not massively fussed it would be nice to hear if there's any money that can be saved on certain components.

One requirement I have that I'm not sure is currently met is that I want to be able use this with two monitors (Can't see why this would be an issue) and would like the option to have a 3rd monitor in the future. Can anyone confirm if this will be possible?

In terms of games I'd like it to be able to run I'm thinking mainly PUBG, Day Z types of games. Out of curiosity how well would this setup run games such as GTA, and Battlefield 1 - I'm not expecting a great response to this although you might surprise me!

Also, what sort of lifespan can you expect from a setup like this?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel - Core i5-8600K 3.6GHz 6-Core Processor £215.99 @ Aria PC
CPU Cooler Cooler Master - Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler £25.05 @ Ebuyer
Motherboard Asus - Prime Z370-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard £149.20 @ Box Limited
Memory Corsair - Vengeance LPX 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory £83.99 @ Aria PC
Storage Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive £80.74 @ Amazon UK
Video Card MSI - GeForce GTX 1060 3GB 3GB GAMING X 3G Video Card £280.34 @ Novatech
Case NZXT - S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case £57.59 @ Aria PC
Power Supply Corsair - RMx 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply £82.96 @ Box Limited
Operating System Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit £84.98 @ PC World Business
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total £1060.84
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-02-25 16:48 GMT+0000

Thanks Ryan

Comments

• 27 months ago
  • 1 point

Two decent gaming builds closer to your £800 mark @~£900:

Intel with gtx 1060 3GB:

Type Item Price
CPU Intel - Core i5-8400 2.8GHz 6-Core Processor £153.95 @ Aria PC
CPU Cooler Cooler Master - Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler £25.05 @ Ebuyer
Motherboard ASRock - Z370 Pro4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard £98.83 @ More Computers
Memory Team - Dark 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3000 Memory £89.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk
Storage Crucial - MX500 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive £66.94 @ Amazon UK
Video Card Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1060 3GB 3GB Windforce OC Video Card £239.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk
Case Phanteks - Eclipse P300 Tempered Glass ATX Mid Tower Case £47.96 @ Ebuyer
Power Supply Corsair - CXM (2015) 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply £57.21 @ Ebuyer
Operating System Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit £84.98 @ PC World Business
Total £864.90
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-02-25 18:56 GMT+0000

AMD with GTX 1060 6GB

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 5 1500X 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor £127.14 @ Aria PC
Motherboard ASRock - AB350 Pro4 ATX AM4 Motherboard £72.98 @ Ebuyer
Memory Team - Dark 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3000 Memory £89.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk
Storage Crucial - MX500 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive £66.94 @ Amazon UK
Storage Seagate - BarraCuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive £33.95 @ Aria PC
Video Card Palit - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB Dual Video Card £309.99 @ Aria PC
Case Phanteks - Eclipse P300 Tempered Glass ATX Mid Tower Case £47.96 @ Ebuyer
Power Supply Corsair - CXM (2015) 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply £57.21 @ Ebuyer
Total £891.14
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-02-25 18:54 GMT+0000
  • 27 months ago
  • 1 point

Looks good! A couple of things,

Yes, you can have two monitors. You'll just run two cables from the GPU to the monitor itself. Whether that's DisplayPort, HDMI, VGA and so on. It all depends on what monitor and how you're using it. Typically, DisplayPort is used for either high resolution or high refresh rate. I use a single DP cable for my 144hz monitor because it requires DP to enable 144hz. Sometimes for like 1440p 144hz monitors, you'll even need two DPs going to one monitor. I would just look at your monitors and make sure the GPU you selected is compatible with what you're trying to do. Also, I hope that's just three 1080p monitors. If you're trying to run three 4K monitors, you're going to need way more juice.

ALWAYS go dual channel RAM. Your parts list has a 1x8GB kit of RAM. You'll notice that Crofter below, selected 2x4GB on both of those builds. Make sure you go dual channel regardless of the parts list.

Other than that, everything looks great. You'll love the S340 case. If you can, I highly suggest going with a 1060 6GB but I know that's tacking on quite a bit of money. If you definitely want something that can crush games and also connect to three monitors, I would explore that option but I'm sure someone else here knows the GPU of your choice a little better than I do.

• 27 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the detailed response Prodigy! Couple more questions if you have a moment...

1.What's the benefit of having the dual RAM? 2.The Monitor I have is a BenQ ZOWIE RL2455 24 inch Console e-Sports Monitor with Lag-free Technology, Game Modes, Black eQualizer and I'll probably buy another for the second screen. What's the best cable to use with this?

Thanks very much.

• 27 months ago
  • 1 point
  • Dual channel theoretically doubles the RAM access bandwidth on your computer. It's always recommended to go dual channel rather than single channel. Single channel is, at this point, old technology. There's no point to go single channel when nearly every motherboard supports dual channel/quad channel. I can't really go more in depth about that. A quick Google search will explain further.

• Looks like that model of BenQ doesn't actually support DP at all. Looks like it has HDMI and DVI. I would just recommend HDMI that way it's simple and easy but I think you'll be limited to 60FPS on the monitor. Then again, that monitor is only 60hz so you'll be good to go! Like I mentioned, DP is typically only used on either higher resolution monitors or high refresh monitors. I use a BenQ ZL2720Z.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube