add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Gaming/All Purpose Build - Advice and Suggestions Needed!

ryanthetall
  • 25 months ago

Hello,

Here is my build. As stated in the title, it will be used for light gaming, web browsing, studying, etc. A lot of people have been saying that due to the increase in GPU prices it might be cheaper to purchase a pre-built PC. I have been searching for affordable deals, but I haven't necessarily found this to be true. This is my first build, so I've been learning a lot. In addition to other advice, here are a few questions I have:

I'd like to overclock this build, so I will probably need to get some additional cooling. What type of fans would you recommend me adding? Also, how many? (I'd like to stick to a white/blue theme)

Right now I have a micro ATX motherboard selected, but an ATX case. Would it be easier to work with an ATX motherboard instead? Will the larger motherboard help?

Most of the monitors I have seen here have a 60hz refresh rate, but I've read that that might not be sufficient for gaming. Can you guys lend me some insight on that?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• 25 months ago
  • 4 points

Seems like a great build! Definitely did a good job selecting parts. I edited the list for a few reasons though.

• You picked out a micro ATX motherboard and I didn't see a point in doing that so I switched it to the ATX version of the AB350 Pro4 ( I use the same exact one).

• Also, if you want to overclock, you want the 1600X version of the CPU you picked out. The X is unlocked and will allow overclocking as the regular 1600 will not. Downside is the X does not come with a stock cooler so that's an additional cost but I added a really good one that is also white in color.

• Also changed the PSU. Went from the Corsair TXM to the Corsair CXM purely because of ratings and reviews. CXM seems to be a better choice and it's actually cheaper.

That's all I changed. As far as your questions, I do always recommend a monitor with a higher refresh rate but it isn't required. 60HZ will be good but I'll tell you that 120 or 144 is incredible if you can push those frames. I have a 1060 matched with a 144hz monitor and it's an incredible experience when gaming. Fans are really all up to you. You can go with either 120mm or 140mm fans with the case that you picked out. I'll link a good cheap fan below after the parts list.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 5 1600X 3.6GHz 6-Core Processor $209.89 @ OutletPC
CPU Cooler CRYORIG - H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler $34.89 @ OutletPC
Thermal Compound Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste $5.85 @ OutletPC
Motherboard ASRock - AB350 Pro4 ATX AM4 Motherboard $73.98 @ Newegg
Memory Team - Vulcan 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $97.99 @ Newegg
Storage Seagate - FireCuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Hybrid Internal Hard Drive $84.99 @ Amazon
Video Card MSI - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB GT OCV1 Video Card $384.98 @ Newegg
Case NZXT - S340 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case $79.99 @ SuperBiiz
Power Supply Corsair - CXM 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $54.99 @ Amazon
Operating System Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit $89.89 @ OutletPC
Wireless Network Adapter Gigabyte - GC-WB867D-I PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter $38.89 @ OutletPC
Monitor Asus - VG245H 24.0" 1920x1080 75Hz Monitor $179.99 @ Amazon
Keyboard Corsair - STRAFE MX Silent Wired Gaming Keyboard $99.79 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $1466.11
Mail-in rebates -$30.00
Total $1436.11
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-02-23 11:31 EST-0500

Here's the fan I recommend, you'll need a few though.

Type Item Price
Case Fan ARCTIC - F12 PWM 74.0 CFM 120mm Fan $8.29 @ SuperBiiz
Total $8.29
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-02-23 11:38 EST-0500
  • 25 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks, I really appreciate this. I've added all of your suggestions to a newer part list! How many fans would you suggest to cool this build? 3?

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

I also use an NZXT S340 and I use four Noctua 140mm fans and one 120mm. Two 140mm in the front as an intake, two 140mm on the top as an exhaust and the 120mm is on the back as an exhaust as well. Mine stays very cool with an overclocked CPU and GPU. I just use the regular stock Ryzen cooler that came with my 1300x and it does very well.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 25 months ago
  • 1 point

This is true. AB350 isn't the best for overclocking. This would be a better choice.

Type Item Price
Motherboard Asus - STRIX B350-F GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard $111.88 @ OutletPC
Total (before mail-in rebates) $131.88
Mail-in rebates -$20.00
Total $111.88
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-02-23 23:28 EST-0500
  • 25 months ago
  • 3 points

This all looks like a really solid build. If you plan on overclocking, I noticed you don't have a CPU cooler marked out in your parts list, and I would not recommend using the stock Ryzen cooler if you want to overclock. Your best bet would be a liquid cooling solution like the CoolerMaster 120, as I've heard that has good cooling performance with your specific CPU, although you might be able to find a cheaper air-cooled solution if you look around a bit. As for case fans, Corsair is a reputable brand, so maybe something like these Corsair Air Series White Fans would work.

Kind of going back to your overclocking question, I'm not entirely sure if the microATX will be able to support the increased voltages associated with overclocking. Otherwise, might just be a good idea to get a standard ATX motherboard so there is less of a possibility that there will be a clearance issue between your CPU cooler and the RAM, if you decide to go with one.

As for the monitors, I haven't heard this one, but in my experience I game on a 60Hz monitor and it has worked fine. Although if you remember where you read that I'd love to see the link because it might be something I missed.

All around, glad to hear how enthusiastic you are about this build, and you have a real nice machine here. Good luck!

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks! I've looked a little at liquid cooling, but I'm a bit worried about getting into that as a beginner.

I'm pretty sure I'll be upgrading from a micro ATX to an ATX mobo as well.

As far as the refresh rate, it seems like a higher refresh rate on a monitor is better, but only really necessary when gaming in competitive FPS settings. Some of the links I looked at are these:

http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/144hz-monitors-refresh-rate-motion-blur-explained-2948180

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/do-you-need-a-120hz-or-240-hz-monitor/

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/refresh-rates-vs-response-times,news-24345.html

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube