add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Is my computer VR Ready?

TableTerrorMatt

24 months ago

I'm honestly a bit new to this kind of stuff but I'm planning on buying an HTC Vive VR headset for Steam and general PC VR gaming. Does anyone know if my current build is sufficient enough to run it? I'll leave a link to my build down below (Please be advised, I've upgraded to 16gb RAM and only have the stock cooler so the cooler on the list is N/A).

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/TableTerrorMatt/builds/

Comments

• 24 months ago
  • 2 points

Itll work but maybe not as good as you might expect depending on how you view it. VR tends to cause sickness due to the amount of framerate being quite different than what we normally experience moving around. Companies are starting to increase the performance of their headsets and/or VR games to alleviate this issue by increasing the amount of frames displayed on each eye as the headsets project 2 images to create the illusion of VR. This is where Ryzen has issues due to its lower IPC compared to Intel's but hopefully, devs properly develop their games to take advantage of multi core CPUs.

You might not be able to experience the best of VR but you should still have a pretty good time.do note that different headsets have different specs where one of the recent prototypes was displaying 2 1440p images which is well beyond the specs of your GPU but by the time its market ready, you might have been able to upgrade by then.

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

Input is greatly appreciated!

• 24 months ago
  • 2 points

fallout 4 VR system requirements minimum

OS: Windows 7/8.1/10 (64-bit versions) Processor: CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 or AMD FX 8350 or better Memory: 8 GB RAM Graphics: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070 / AMD RX Vega 56 or better Storage: 30 GB available space

Recommended: OS: Windows 7/8.1/10 (64-bit versions) Processor: CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K or AMD Ryzen 5 1600X Memory: 16 GB RAM Graphics: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 / AMD RX Vega 64 Storage: 30 GB available space

just to give u an idea

1-your 1060 is LESS THAN minimum

2-your CPU is the recommended
3-your RAM of 16GB is recommended

bump up your 1060

• 24 months ago
  • 2 points

That is just Fallout 4 though. We have no idea if he plays it.

• 24 months ago
  • 2 points

just to give u an idea

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

I do know it comes with the Vive Headset so I'll probably be playing a little bit of it at least.

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the heads up! It does come with the Vive Headset so I might have to upgrade sooner rather than later; the headset itself is going to take up most of a paycheck as-is.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 24 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks man

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 24 months ago
  • 1 point

for what? no AAA gaming

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube