add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Order of PC Building? Cable Management?

Mindmixer
  • 30 months ago

Hey!

I will be building my first PC here in the next week or so.
What is the optimal order of part installation?

How should I go about organizing my cables so my build looks nice?

This is my build: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Mindmixer/saved/DMC8K8

Comments

• 30 months ago
  • 3 points

Even though I have never had a problem with static, I wouldn't ignore the fact that it exists and can cause damage. Don't get crazy with worrying about static just make sure your not rubbing balloons on your head or shuffling your feet on the carpet. I would also recommend before slapping a part into another part to just touch a piece of bare metal with your finger while you are holding the part you are about to install so everything is at the same potential.

• Take off all the panels of your case that you will need to access. secure the front panel cables in a good place to not be in the way.
  • Install your IO Shield by pressing on the corners one by one just hard enough to snap them in.
  • Your PSU is exposed in the case you bought so installing the cables shouldn't be too hard after it's installed. But you could determine which cables you will need and install them into the PSU before installing it into the case.
  • Put your PSU into the case. (I already seen your case so this won't be a problem with installing the MB since your PSU is on the bottom.)
  • install the hard drives into the case and plug in the SATA power to each drive.
  • Install the CPU on your MB. (Don't touch any pins or the top. Hold it by the sides and lightly put it straight down into the socket. Don't slide it or wiggle it to align the pins or you will damage them. If it didn't go into the pin holes then lift it straight up and gently try again. Repeat until the CPU is sitting flush against the socket.)
  • Install your m.2 PCIe card (Because you know the importance of using the m.2 PCIe drive at this point....SPEED!) You did get one right? Oh, darn, it's a required upgrade as soon as possible...
  • Install your CPU cooler since it is self contained and HUGE. Plug in the Fan to the CPU fan header.
  • Install the MB into the case by gently inserting the IO section into the IO shield making sure all the ports line up. Don't force it. then put all 9 screws into the risers. They all should line up perfectly, if they don't then make sure the IO panel is seated properly. It's a tight fit into that case because there is little to no clearance on top of that case.
  • Hook up all the PSU cables to the MB (24 pin and 8 pin)
  • Hook up the SATA cables to your HD/SSD/MB. Most MBs only come with two SATA cables so you may need to get a couple more.
  • Hook up the front panel connectors, Audio, USB, Power, Reset...
  • Install the GPU and plug in the PSU cable (8 pin) to the GPU.
  • Install the wireless card and install its USB header cable for BT.
  • Hook up the keyboard, mouse, and monitor.
  • Plug in the power cord to the PSU and wall/UPS. Turn on the PSU in the back and press the power button.

It should all light up, the CPU fan should spin. If at any time you think there is something not working then shut it down and troubleshoot.

Good luck.

• 30 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks man! That is awesome advice! +9000 (but I only have 1...).

• 30 months ago
  • 2 points

The order will change based on the form factor you chose to go with. ITX cases are super small and they require a specific order to avoid issues where mid and full tower cases are much more permissive in the order you build.

Generally speaking, you want to put the CPU into the motherboard and either the AIO's backplate or the air cooler on the CPU as before you put the motherboard inside the case as well as m.2 drives. Just dont forget the IO shield.

Then I normally look at cable routing specially for the case's cables as some of these can be too cramped to properly route once everything is inside the case. Then the PSU with cables you attach in advance, drives, plug in all the cables then finish with the GPU as they tend to get in your way due to their sheer size.

• 30 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube