add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Cooler for Ryzen 1700X

epiktek
  • 30 months ago

My motherboard is X370-f Strix, and I'm planning on getting the NZXT S340 Elite case.

Wondering if there are any suggestions for coolers. I'm currently leaning on Noctua U12S SE-AM4, which is compatible with my case, although I'm not sure if it's compatible with the board... also I keep hearing it's fugly.

I'm a newb so I'm just considering a simple air cooler.

Comments

• 30 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm a fan of the Cryorig H7. Looks nice and cools well. Also you can get it for $28.90 right now on Newegg. https://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.3704728

• 30 months ago
  • 1 point

It certainly looks nice, and I think it'll go nicely with the NZXT S340 Elite case in white. But are you sure it could handle 1700X? There's a model above H7 called Quad Lumi. It has one extra heat pipe (4 total), but even then, it doesn't seem clear.

There doesn't seem to be a lot of documentation about Quad Lumi. The people who've reviewed it seem more concerned with the RGB aesthetics, than the actually functionality of the cooling aspect. One guy says he'd recommend it up to Ryzen 1600. Hmm.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 30 months ago
  • 1 point

Unfortunately, I spoke to someone who's tried with the H7 Quad Lumi, which has an extra heat pipe over the H7, and he said it struggles and temps exceed 80C.

The only thing that's recommended is the D15 Noctua, which I hear barely fits in the NZXT 340 case. Unfortunately, the non-UPS-colored R1 Universal however does not.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 30 months ago
  • 1 point

Hmm, I don't know. I watched Tech Talk SG's video...

https://youtu.be/gLvJ4XUgInQ?t=3m46s

"Technically, going by AMD's spec sheet for the 1700X, the TDP is 95W and the LUMI's rated TDP is 160W so the LUMI should be able to handle the 1700X. However in practice, I've tried it on a friend's 1700X and the LUMI can only handle the 1700X at stock without any overclocking. Once I tried pushing the 1700X to 3.9GHz and above the LUMI can't catch up and you will need to install a second fan for a push-pull to be able to keep the temps below 80C. But having said that, my room temp is around 30C so if your room temps are 25C or below then the LUMI should be able to cool the 1700X much better."

• 30 months ago
  • 1 point

Go with the Scythe Mugen 5 rev. B or the Fuma rev. B (rev. B is just adding AM4 support). Both are on par with 240mm AiOs (benchmarks are compared at many sources).

Both are great coolers for the price and offer large OCing headroom.

• 30 months ago
  • 1 point

Others have also recommended the following:
- be quiet Dark Rock Pro 3
- Thermalright Macho rev. b

• 30 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the suggestions! All of those seem to offer the clearance to fit into an S340 NZXT. None look as nice as the white R1 (too big) or the H7 Lumi (too weak), but I guess it'll have to do. Besides that, I wonder if it'll have compatibility issues with the X370-f Strix board and Flare X ram. AM4 is not supported so that'll be extra. Also consumers don't seem too pleased with the install process for Scythe and be quiet Dark Pro. Couldn't find any video reviews of Thermalright.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube