add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Net neutrality could be going away

vagabond139
  • 30 months ago

It seems like we are always at battles for our rights due to greedy corporations pushing and pushing their lobbyists to push more laws that benefit them. It does not benefit sites or consumers, only the greedy companies. The vote on net neturality is expected to happen on the Nov. 22nd.

What does this mean for us?

FCC Chair Ajit Pai is about to announce a vote to slash America's net neutrality rules—meaning companies like Comcast & Verizon will be able to block apps, slow websites, and charge fees to control what you see & do online. Once Pai announces the vote, the situation becomes desperate. But if we flood Congress with phone calls right now, they can stop the vote.

Net neutrality is the principle that Internet providers like Comcast & Verizon should not control what we see and do online. In 2015, startups, Internet freedom groups, and 3.7 million commenters won strong net neutrality rules from the US Federal Communication Commission (FCC). The rules prohibit Internet providers from blocking, throttling, and paid prioritization—"fast lanes" for sites that pay, and slow lanes for everyone else.

https://www.savetheinternet.com/net-neutrality-what-you-need-know-now

Won't the free market take care of it? Ha, what free market. The US ISP's have monopolies with virtually zero competition, its why they can push for stuff like this and charge so much for our internet given our speeds.

Please call your congressman today, its our last hope.

https://www.battleforthenet.com/

Comments

• 30 months ago
  • 6 points

Wikipedia, Google, and Amazon all need to go offline to protest this. That would effectively stop the web.

I epuld call, but marching band = no time.

• 30 months ago
  • 2 points

I feel like this isn't the first time i've heard about this problem

• 30 months ago
  • 3 points

Nope. It keeps getting pushed and pushed even though everyone that is effected by it wants nothing to do with it at all.

• 30 months ago
  • 2 points

I thought this was dealt with multiple times. How many does this make it?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube