add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

GTX 760 vs. GTX 770 - Can someone explain the difference?

ExoTecher

73 months ago

I was just wondering...Both the GTX 760 and the GTX 770 have almost the same clock speeds, they both have 256-bit GDDR5 memory, and the only difference I've noticed is that the 770 has a few more CUDA cores, and the Cooling is different. So can someone explain why there is such a big price difference, and why one is better than the other?

Comments

• 73 months ago
  • 2 points

The cooling will really just depend on what brand you go with since they each use different aftermarket coolers.

http://www.hwcompare.com/14793/geforce-gtx-760-vs-geforce-gtx-770/

You're basically correct about the differences. The 770 has slightly higher clock speeds and more texture mapping units, making it a bit more future-proof (but only very slightly). It is possible to overclock a 760 and get the same kind of performance. The 760 also has a lower minimum wattage requirement.

Currently the 760 is a much better value if you're on a budget as the extra 100 or so dollars to upgrade to the 770 does not really translate into that much more performance. If you have a large budget, it would be better to simply bypass the 770 if possible and get the 780.

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the detailed response! Oh and also thanks for that link, That is some good info right there ;) +1

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

No problem. hwcompare.com (albeit not necessarily 100% accurate) is definitely one of my favorite reference sites since it's simple. You can also try GPUboss.com and videocardbenchmark.net. Makes GPU research a billion times simpler.

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

770 is better as it has around 250mhz higher memory clock and more shading,texture,SMX units so it's atleast 10-15% better than 760.

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

Ah, OK, well I imagine that overclocking the 760 250MHz would not be too much trouble, but thanks for doing the maths for me :)

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

Your welcome

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

careful when pushing a GPU that hard, as you may need to increase the voltage, which translates to a tremendous amount of heat.

Make sure your card can keep it cool. :D

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube