add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Stupid Question: Will airport security damage my drives?

NepenthesLucas
  • 33 months ago

I have one desktop SSD with my life on it and a desktop HDD with some more of my life on it, can it do through the scanners without any data loss? They will be in a backpack with my laptop. Only reason I am asking because they will not be encased in plastic like the HDD in a laptop

Comments

• 33 months ago
  • 2 points

I've taken hdds through airport security before and they were fine, not sure about sdds but I would guess they'll be ok too?

But as an extra precaution maybe back up your most important data on dvd and/or usb just in case.

• 33 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, i can't backup anything because my PC broke, and I am taking them on this trip so I can get a USB to SATA cable at the airport so I can sync all my data :(

Would it be better just to take my hdd and leave my ssd?

• 33 months ago
  • 1 point

It's your call, I think ssds would be fine as it's a different kinda tech to hdds which are magnetic.

Maybe ask at somewhere else like reddit for more opinions?

• 33 months ago
  • 1 point

I brought my whole PC (minus the case) through airport securities: UK to Australia. My hardware went through the checks at the UK and at Jakarta as well. This included 1 SSD and 2 HDDs (and PSU, motherboard, CPU, CPU cooler).

All work fine.

• 33 months ago
  • 1 point

You are asking if the airport x-ray machines might damage your HDD?

• 33 months ago
  • 1 point

Correct. HHD and SSD

• 33 months ago
  • 2 points

They won't, nothing strong enough to damage anything dealing with tech. To damage a HDD you would need a very powerful electromagnet. SSD's are tough and can take a hit so would take a sledge hammer to break them. Now some of your parts or whole PC going thru baggage claim might be damaged as your stuff maybe ruff handled somewhere.

• 33 months ago
  • 1 point

Some laptops have SSD, some HDD. Both go through airports fine. You mentioned the laptop being encased in plastic? That won't stop anything... but in any event they will make you take the laptop out of the bag and send it through the x-ray on it's own anyway. (and take your shoes off and send them, and your belt.. etc...)

People go through all the time on business trips with their laptops over the last 15 years. The millions of x-rays done on laptops etc. in that time have been fine, I'm sure your gear will as well.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube