add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

No one tells you how to protect your gaming pc after you build it!

Curly14
  • 34 months ago

So im a brand new pc builder. Spent lots of time looking meticulously through parts and watching builds planning an spending like 700 dollars on a brand new gaming settup and realized no one has said anything about what to do for virus protection on your brand new toy. Now at first i thought oh hey 100 dollars worth of windows 10 probably just has it installed with it. Then i realized im being way to hopeful and were talking about computer parts there never just gonna give you a virus protection software and if the do its likely not one ill probably want to use. So after you build your gaming settups what is the first thing you guys do to protect your computer. Btw im a noob i really dont even totally understand the vpn part yet either so tell me everything you think pertinent. And btw im planning on running kodi off my new computer just in case that makes any one beef up the protection too right away. Thanks for the help!

Comments

• 34 months ago
  • 2 points

I use this anti-virus Eset NOD32

I use this VPN PIA / Video on how VPN's works BTW using a VPN has a much slower internet speed than not using one.

I use firefox internet browser with the extensions Ublock Origin a nice add blocker, No Script help keeps unwanted web page content from loading unless you allow it and HTTPS Everywhere it automatically uses HTTPS security on many sites. Lastly I use duckduckgo a search engine that doesn't track you, plus Firefox also has private browsing with tracking protection this only stops your PC from remembering your browser history, your internet company will still see and remember your browser history this is what a VPN is for.

• 33 months ago
  • 1 point

For VPN you need another network to connect to, right? So where do you connect? Office? School?

• 33 months ago
  • 1 point

You just need a single internet connection to connect to a VPN. A VPN is basically a mask your PC wears and 3rd parties/ISP's only see said mask. So your PC using your internet connects to the VPN thorough software in-which your data is then encrypted and your IP Address is then hidden and changed with that your location is also changed, said VPN then uses its own internet network to connect you to the internet; the speed of the new connection varies upon VPN services.

• 33 months ago
  • 1 point

I know what a VPN is (Virtual Private Network). I have used company VPN before. But I guess that's not exactly what you're doing.

I guess you're paying for a 3rd party specialized in a VPN service offering anonymity (for a certain degree) for their users for a certain amount of fee.

Is that it?

• 33 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes.

• 33 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks. ;)

I never considered such a service. I'm not into something "no good" and I don't fear someone might target me, so I never felt like I need to protect myself in ways like that.

I guess for some safety is never enough. Could be a good idea for them to use such services.

• 33 months ago
  • 1 point

I use a combination of ad-block, Windows Defender, Malwarebytes, and a VPN to protect myself. No anti-virus needed and have been going on strong for a few years now :)

• 33 months ago
  • 0 points

I literally do nothing. Windows 10 comes with antivirus/antispyware already. Unless you're the type of person who gets all click-happy on websites and emails, then you don't really need anything else.

• 33 months ago
  • 1 point

Do you mean Windows Defender?

• 33 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes.

• 33 months ago
  • 1 point

I would install it just in case. It wouldn't hurt you too.

• 33 months ago
  • 1 point

Actually, a lot of anti-virus software tends to be a resource hog.

• 33 months ago
  • 1 point

But a lot not all so you can find the one who doesn't.

• 33 months ago
  • 0 points

I agree. Just don't go to nasty sites and u should be fine.

[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube