add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

AMA - I own the 1ms, 144hz, VA, 1080p, Samsung C24FG70 AND I LOVE IT!

hi_im_snowman
  • 37 months ago

Samsung C24FG70 - aka lc24fg70fqnxza // Price paid: 399$ CAD (on sale at Best Buy)

I recently bought the very little known (or rather, unpopular) Samsung 144hz, 24" Quantum Dot gaming monitor to replace the very foggy and unacceptably dull (imo) Asus PG248Q [yes, i did forgo G-Sync in this decision] and I've just been blown away by the vibrant colors, deep blacks, bright whites and its lack of motion blur, or any other visual artifacts.

General specs:

• 24"
  • 144hz native, no overclock avail.
  • 1ms response time
  • 1080p
  • VA Quantum Dot panel
  • 1800r Curved display
  • 3000:1 contrast ratio
  • Freesync support (VRR display)
  • ULMB
  • Arena lighting feature (meh, just a gimmick)

Overall, I'm extremely happy with my purchase and I'd be happy to share feedback with those out there who may be wondering about VA panels in gaming (and for general use).

Ask away! :)

Comments

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

the Quantom dot is whats had me excited. hows it feel compared to an ips panel and tn?

i do get noticable eye strain and i do have stare at alot of screens. waiting for 1440p models to come out with g sync to sell my 2 monitors to get one :O

• 36 months ago
  • 1 point

I feel your pain, I don't know about you but I had to get myself blue light reducing glasses (works wonders, imo). As for the the difference between this display and my IPS at work (i do graphic design and UI/UX design), well, they are VERY close to one another. Of course the Quantum dot panel has more vibrant colors but they are less accurate overall than a high-end IPS display, and of course, I wouldn't dare compare it to true 10-bit panels.

That being said, I truly feel like this VA panel has NOTHING in common with traditional TN panels. It's far brighter, clearer and has a very satisfying contrast ratio that makes me forget this isn't an IPS panel. Now that's Quantum Dot doing it's thing. It's VERY impressive, i have to admit.

I feel you on the 1440p panel but to be honest, the real smooth gaming experience comes when your build can produce as many fps as your monitor can display. That's the real deal here. IF you happen to have a build that can sustain MAX @ 144fps+ on 1440p, then, you're set (and damn, that's awesome). But my 7600k and single overclocked gtx 1080 strix can't. Not even close :|

• 36 months ago
  • 1 point

Got a 6700k and a 1080ti gaming x ;)

I alsp have rx blu tech glasses also. Switching from ips panels to ****** tn ones my old work had. Literally damaged my eyes.

I might wait to see how QD evolves for the next year. Im sure quality will good up amazingly :3 ypu just confirmed that its worth it to me

• 36 months ago
  • 1 point

ohhh, that 1080ti.... Damn you! xD

And yea, damn TN panels are just... obsolete. It's total crap and only but a few can muster up a decent image that's worthy of today's available tech.

I'm excited to see what QD will provide in the future but man, it's no gimmick, that much i'm confortable vouching for. Is it worth the full retail price? Not a chance... BUT, on a discount, it's a serious consideration.

What display are you currently rocking with that beast of a GPU? I'm curious! xD

• 36 months ago
  • 1 point

Xb271hu the 27in ips 144hz g sync predator. And a benq 27in 100% srgb cad 4k 10bit ips.

They're both good on the eyes. And lots of games at 1440p with the ti still won't go over 80 fps. The new ghost recon for instance. Crazy.

But the benq eye finity claims are well made.

The predator though. Hands down best thing I've ever seen. Or looked at.But at 800$ it better good xD

• 36 months ago
  • 1 point

I was gonna say lol, for 800$ it had better be DAMN fine!!

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 36 months ago
  • 1 point

I got the same deal as you and I'm also pleased with it. I was thinking about buying it at the previous sale price ($480) and didn't pull the trigger but when it dropped again by another 80 bucks for one day only I couldn't resist! LOL ;-)

• 36 months ago
  • 1 point

We both got lucky!!

I was curious, there are some people saying that there's a "purple glitch" with this display, have you seen anything wrong with it so far? I haven't but it was a concern, I have to admit.

• 36 months ago
  • 1 point

Honestly, I haven't seen any problems with it at all. Perhaps the problem was only on earlier models and the firmware on the newer models has eliminated it? I don't know but I'm satisfied.

• 36 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm still gonna wait for the gsync version.. Been craving to get a gaming monitor and this one really pulls me in. So i thought i'll just get the gsync to also make use of my nvidia card for my next years of gaming.

• 36 months ago
  • 1 point

Umm, they've announced a G-Sync version of this display??!?!

o.O What is this sorcery! How did I not read about this!!!!!

• 36 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes they have.. Didn't say exact date, but "later" after release. Still no update until now.. I'm sure it'll be crazy expensive :D

• 36 months ago
  • 1 point

Hey! To be honest, I think you'll be MORE than fine. Lower the settings from MAX and you'll quickly jump to 144+ fps on most AAA titles.

My two cents on G-Sync: Yes, it does prevent stuttering, tearing and other artifacts and of course it works wonderfully well. BUT, a single frame on a 144hz panel is visible for only 6.9 milliseconds. I mean, that's stupid fast. That means that artifacts, if and when they occur, are displayed on screen for an incredibly short amount of time. The end result? You'll immediately feel like your gameplay is much smoother on 144hz as opposed to 60hz. G-Sync just turns the very smooth into the uber-smooth.

A G-Sync enabled monitor is about 150 to 200$ more when compared with a similar non G-Sync display. Personally, I'd much rather spend the extra 200$ to upgrade my 1070 to a 1080 than to keep the 1070 and buy a g-sync display.

If your build can supply a steady 144fps to the 144hz monitor, you'll feel like you're playing with a 20k build - it's just so damn silky. G-Sync is wonderful but it's very expensive gravy. :)

As an an example, I'm running my GTX 1080 Strix on stock clock and pushing the Division @ near max, 144fps+. The gameplay is so damn smooth, I don't think i'd even notice with or without G-Sync. I have no stutter, no artifacts, etc.

• 36 months ago
  • 1 point

Personally, I'd only think about 144+ hz when considering a high-refresh display. Not that 120 isn't good, it is, at least, twice as good as 60 (duh, lol) but the real deal here is that prices are similar @ 120hz vs 144hz. So might as well go for 144. as for 75-80hz, well, umm, meh. Better to get this than a 60hz but there's no way I consider 80hz a high refresh display.

Now I've tried the Asus PG258Q (240hz display) and, to be honest, I can see some difference, of course, but it's clearly a victim of diminishing returns. It's just not worth the shiny extra pennies.

Take this advice with a grain of salt because I am biased - I'm a huge fan of bang-per-buck components because, well, I don't have an infinite budget and at some point, great, not EPIC, really is good enough for me.

• 36 months ago
  • 1 point

In my opinion, the Samsung is the only interesting option for 1080p displays without g-sync. TN panels are too dull and G-Sync is too expensive (at least 200$ more).

So yea, the Samsung is a great choice :)

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube