add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

GTX 660 vs R9 270x

sean_milbourn

73 months ago

Hey guys, planning my first gaming build and I'm really indecisive about the GPU. I'll be playing D3, Star Craft 2 and Skyrim mostly. Will the 660 be able to run Skyrim on ultra on a 55" tv? Or will the R9 270x be able to out perform the 660?

Comments

• 73 months ago
  • 2 points

The 270x is the better card, by roughly 10%. If it's a 1080p TV, it will be fine on Ultra (though don't be surprised if you have to turn AA down slightly). Just be aware that, because of the TV's size, you'll need to be sitting a fair distance away - otherwise you'll start to notice stretched pixels, etc.

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

Was that the 660 will be fine on ultra? or the 270x? 660 is a little cheaper so I would rather go with that, but if there will be a noticeable difference with the 270x, i'd rather spend the extras $30-$40

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

Sorry, I should have been clearer. The GTX 660 will also play Skyrim (Ultra, 1080p, etc) at smooth framerates (I think that's the most intensive game out of those 3). If that is the cheaper option, go for it.

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

what about the 4 gb r9 270x?

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

That's mainly useful if you have multiple monitors, or a higher resolution. If your TV is 1080p, just stick with the 2GB version and save yourself some money.

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

if one has 3 monitors(5760x1080) what is the difference?

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

how about go with an MSI gamer edition r9 270 not the x version. the x version is really just a slightly overclocked 270. I have one and trust me, there is no reason for a 270x because the 270 overclocks much better and is cheaper, meaning you can buy either a better cpu or more games, its up to you.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube