• No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

Tamriel_Bound 7 days ago

Hey folks!

So I was doing some work in my computer yesterday, and noticed something odd about my mobo. One of the system fan connectors didnt actually exist??? It was just a little metal bump, which I thought to be a cover? But I couldnt get it off, and when I checked, the pins on the other fan connector were taller than the metal bump thing where a second one shouldve been.

Is this something common with older boards? Common with boards designed for/put in pre-built PCs?

Comments Sorted by:

manirelli staff 7 Builds 1 point 7 days ago

That metal bump is the the fan header or a cover. Those solder points are where the connector would have been placed - directly next to the other fan. This is realllly common on motherboards where they re-use the PCB for different tiers of motherboards. Most commonly you will see removed USB headers or sections near the rear IO.

Warlock 1 point 7 days ago

Double check your mobo manual.
To this day, mobo manufacturers use the same PCB for various models to minimize costs..
So solder points may be same on different models but omit placing actual headers/IO ports... on some models (lower end).