• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

dcho0905 2 months ago

my computer wouldnt boot back in November when i had windows 8.1 so i bought windows 10 to completely wipe out my computer. since then, i have reset/wiped my computer twice due to my computer running so slow it can't function or due to freezing when it idles for more than 10 mins (currently its freezing so im about to wipe my comptuer again). is it because of my computer parts? i have upgraded my operating system, graphics card, and RAM since November. all other parts have been the same since i first built my computer in the summer of 2013.

PULLED FROM PCPartPicker.com CPU: Intel Core i5-4670k 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Frio 101.6 CFM CPU Cooler Motherboard: Asus Z87-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard Memory: PNY 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive Video Card: NVIDIA GeFOrce GTX 1070 8GB Video Gard Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast 750W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply Optical Drive: Asus BC-12B1ST/BLK/B/AS Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home Full 32/64-bit

Comments Sorted by:

sponix 2 Builds 2 points 2 months ago

Check your temps and make sure everything is running cool. Then start to investigate with the Task Manager and such to see what is consuming the resources.

Unless you are having major thermal issues it is unlikely to be a Hardware Issue.

Might also give "Malwarebytes" a try and see if Malware is part of the problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPRvc2UMeMI

But to answer your main question. NO, you don't Need to upgrade your computer.

Warlock 1 point 2 months ago

... is it because of my computer parts?

Lifespan of computer hardware is longer than three years.

suhok 1 Build 1 point 2 months ago

It sounds more likely a virus/malware than bad hardware to me, none of your components are that old. If wiping your computer fixes your slowness problem twice, than that highly suggests to me you either had too much junkware installed or had multiple virus/malwares. Try first going to Programs in Control Panel and removing any old software programs that you no longer use or infrequently use. If any programs sound sketchy or no idea what they are, just google them.

After that, I would suggest making sure your anti-virus is up-to-date and do a full system scan, then do a malware scan with Malwarebytes (or other decent scanner), then install CCleaner to clean up temp files and regularly clean them up at least once a month. You can also try updating drivers for your motherboard, ssd, graphics card, etc - I doubt these would be causing your slowness but perhaps one of them has compatibility issues or a bug that is causing a performance issue. If you get your pc to a nice stable point, make a restore point in windows so you can roll back to it if something goes wrong.

If none of those helps, run system file checker at the command prompt (sfc /scannow) to scan for corrupted system files. You can try downloading programs like memtest86 to scan your ram memory for issues, though I rarely found that to be the culprit. For your SSD, if it came with any software to check the health of the harddrive that would be nice (sometimes the S.M.A.R.T values are helpful if failing harddrive). Western Digital Data Lifeguard or HDDScan or Macroit Disk Scanner are free programs to test your hard drive and read the SMART values.

BodaciousBuddha 1 point 2 months ago

Check out Event Viewer, Admin Template. Look around the time when a 10-minute freeze occurs. Wild guess: it's that dreaded I/O 'failed to retry' problem with the main drive.

Crazyfool 1 point 2 months ago

a failing hdd did it to me once to slow the system to a crawl. Even if not using that drive windows can 'hang up' trying to get a status from it.

LittlePipoon 1 point 2 months ago

Yes, The NEED FOR SPEED IS REAL!