• No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

ThatGoat 6 months ago

Hello all,

I was browsing the PCWorld articles, and I found this one...

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3181991/windows/windows-10s-creators-update-may-nerf-a-workaround-to-mandatory-updates.html

Apparently the Windows 10 "Creators Update" coming soon will block the loophole for metered-connection update restriction.

It sad to see them force updates...

It's just... Sad...

Comments Sorted by:

ewhac 1 Build 2 points 6 months ago
ThatGoat submitter 1 point 6 months ago

Yes.

Just YES.

take my +1

fn230 14 Builds 1 point 6 months ago

The uprising will happen.

Growliff1234 1 point 6 months ago

I have mine turned off in services.msc, will that affect me?

Yes.

Whatever metered connection you had will now be forced through updates.

The loophole is closing.

Fast.

You have until they release the "Creator's Update..."

Growliff1234 1 point 6 months ago

How will they get through my completely disabled windows update and update my system? lol, I just disabled it because they were destroying my bandwidth.

Did you read the full article?

"We will only force through updates critical to keep Windows running"

I don't think they will completely destroy your bandwidth, but ehhh....

Just use Linux and never have to deal with any of this.

Though to be honest, I think forced updates bring more pros than cons. For us power users, this is a bad thing in some ways, but what about the average person who doesn't update their systems, like ever? This is a good move from a security standpoint.

ThatGoat submitter 2 points 6 months ago

The thing is, when the Anniversary Update came out,

Some people lost their WiFi adapter drivers and stuff. This meant they couldn't connect to the web to download new drivers. This caused some MAJOR problems for people.

The problem with updates, is some people have special hardware that may not work with the next update...

That's a good point. Though that's Microsoft's folly for not testing thoroughly, rather than being a problem with forced updates in and of themselves. Or in some cases, it may be intentional support drop for an obscure bit of hardware. Granted, the latter is something that should be communicated properly when it happens.

BodaciousBuddha 1 point 6 months ago

If it's only security updates (excluding MRT.exe), then I'm fine with this. Of course, they could have created a 'security updates only option', but then MS wouldn't gain all those benefits from updating (and basically resetting) all those PCs.