add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
vagabond139
  • 37 months ago

I managed to break a pedal on my Logitech DFGT. It is pretty old so I'm not surprised that it is falling part. The pedal has other cracks in it that I need to fill up too.

I am wondering what glue I should use to repair it. I tried normal super glue but it gave out fast after I pressed hard on the brake pedal. I am wondering if I should go overkill and use something like jb weld since it will be getting pushed a lot or try something like gorilla glue. I'm open to recommendations. I want it to be stuck on there for good.

Also forgive me for the very bad title which makes zero sense....

Comments

• 37 months ago
  • 5 points

5 or 10 minute epoxy. I've used that in rockets that go 0-300 in .25 seconds and never seen it break.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

model rocket reference to answer PC peripheral repair question gets an automatic +1

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

thanks! cool to see someone else who makes them too (I'm guessing)

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Another one for the 5 minute epoxy, nothing else will help you here unless you can also manage to add some reinforcing to the pedals inside the broken surface to ensure that it is a bit stronger, sort of like pins in bones kind of thing

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

oh yeah that'll help a ton. I should have thought of that.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

I didn't think of it straight away either and I actually edited my post when I thought of it

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

well it's a good idea

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

I decide I'm going to go overkill and get some JB weld and use like a whole pack of it to hold it in place. I'm pretty sure that should do the trick.

Its close to holding with normal super glue, you just can't use a bunch of pressure which isn't ideal for a pedal and its going to be getting pressed a lot.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

well that'll do it. Id use the rod inserts if i were you though

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

No exactly sure what you mean but I did get a idea.

I can reinforce it with some of these glue on.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KHUR5AQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

so what you do it drill a small hole into each piece, multiple of them. make sure they line up across the part when together. then, insert metal rods into each hole so that they reinforce the glue bond that you then put in between the pieces.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Don't have a drill and can't justify getting one since I could just buy a new set of wheels between spending like $15 to glues and a file and ~$25 on a drill and $5 on a drill bit and $5 on some rods. That is like $55 in total.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Hey, you've probs already done it but what material is the plasic.

If it's lower grade i think jb weld may eat at it a bit causing you to have to hold it a bit longer. I had the experience with an old case i had i used it on the plastic front panel

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 37 months ago
  • 1 point

CONGRATULATIONS jipster69!

This was your 5,980th comment!!!

xD

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Congrats Dude!

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks!

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

2 mixture epoxy is my go to.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

thats a little fast dont you think?

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Why?

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

the faster an epoxy dries, generally the weaker it bonds. this is why i recommended 5-10 minute epoxy. (mind you, it may be a little overkill)

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm not debating that at all?

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

wikiHow to glue.

You should probably get a G27 or G920 if you're thinking about upgrading, since the DFGT has no clutch.

If you still want to repair it, maybe try a wooden or metal brace? Metal would probably look better, but it would more likely be easier to make a wooden brace because it's just easier to drill through some metal and wood, vs. all metal/

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

I am going to try to make it hold out for a few more years until I get out of school and have enough money to spare to go really big and get something like a fanatec wheel. That is unless something else happens to my DFGT in the mean time. If something does I will probably go for one of those wheels or mod my DFGT back to life.

I honestly have like zero tools to do that with and its broke in a bad spot so it would intefere with the housing. I am going to use a *** load of JB weld on it and not do half *** job like I did before with super glue.

I just found these pedals on fanatec website...

https://www.fanatec.com/us-en/pedals/csr-pedals-us.html

Quite tempting to buy but I'm already in the whole about $20 so I might as well continue and I would have to figure a way to use it by USB.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

I would try the CSR pedals since they're 50% off if JBWeld doesn't work.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

I just tried a **** ton of JB weld the second time, the first time I did a very poor job of applying it, and it still broke. The JB Weld was rock solid too. I was thinking about buying them but I found out the adapter for them will cost like $40 so that is out of the question. Looks like I'm just going to buying a new wheel at some point and probably selling my current one for dirty cheap.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

So, the pedal just snapped, right?

Maybe something from Thrustmaster with force feedback? I would suggest a G27 but they're still expensive. =\

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

It snapped, it did appear to hold up for a few hours though so it did better than the super glue. G27's are still priced as if they are brand new, its insane. I will probably just save up for something good like a G27 rather than get something similar to a DFGT.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube