add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Currently have a Intel M25 SSD - upgrade or keep

Biff0r

36 months ago

I currently have Intel SSDSA2M160G2GC X25-M 160GB 3Gbps which is more than likely 4-5 years old. Building a new system and thought I'd stick with my current SSD, realise it a little dated.

I also have a Crucial MX300 750 GB SATA which using for games currently. The motherboard I have ordered comes with a free M.2 drive (256Gb M.2 NVMe SSD + MSI Z270) and a 1TB mechanical WD drive for data and docs.

Items bought: Current build list

Should I upgrade the OS drive (Intel X25-M) to a new drive and if so which one? Use one of the others (bear in mind the M.2 may be a few weeks as its a freebie)

Thanks in advance for your help and guidance

Comments

• 36 months ago
  • 2 points

You might as well use that SSD that came with the motherboard, it's going to be faster than your M25.

• 36 months ago
  • 2 points

Use the NVMe SSD as your boot drive its faster than your Intel X25-M or Crucial MX300 which both are SATA SSDs.

• 36 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks, may have to wait a few weeks for delivery, but so be it :)

• 36 months ago
  • 2 points

You might use the X-25 to make a system image after the drivers and such are installed and the system is stable. Before any programs or Apps are installed.

• 36 months ago
  • 1 point

It is out of the equation now. The 129Gb Crucial drive is fast, very impressed. Not activated Windows yet, will do once it is on the M.2 drive. Appears you cant clone to it though :(

Current install is great, so fast! I reckon around 18 seconds to boot into Windows from start.

Took 5 mins and 23 seconds from first turn on, configure motherboard settings and have Windows 10 installed!

• 36 months ago
  • 1 point

How'd you get that mobo-SSD combo deal?

• 36 months ago
  • 1 point

It is currently a deal with MSI.com if you buy the m% or M7 system you can claim the drive. Mine been accepted and should be here within 7 days \0/

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube