add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Ram is 1866mhz, Motherboard supports up to 1600mhz, ram clocked at 1333mhz

carto738
  • 42 months ago

Hello

I have the MSI B85M P33 and it states that it supports 1600/1333/1066 mhz ram. I have 2 sticks of ddr3 1866 ram.

Shouldn't it be downclocked to 1600mhz and not 1333mhz?

Thanks

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/DLQ6pb - Partlist. The ram is only 1600mhz because I couldn't find the same color/brand ram in 1866mhz format on this site but the ram is actually 1866mhz.

Comments

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

Often memory will initially be clocked to 1333 Mhz if for some reason the MoBo/CPU and Memory don't sync up automagically.

Go into BIOS, and see if you can set the memory up to 1600. The CPU supports the faster Memory, but the MoBo may not go beyond 1600.

If you can't get it to run at 1600, get on MSI's support forum and ask why.

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

FYI its not downclocking. 1333 Mhz is the standard speed, anything above that constitutes an overclock.

You need to enable XMP mode which is an overclocking profile on the Memory in the BIOS. The profile will be set up to run at the speed the RAM has on the box, so 1866 mhz which is effectively what your paying the money for as its been screened and set up to work at that speed.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube