add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

MSI Z170 MPOWER GAMING TITANIUM vs GIGABYTE Z170X GAMING 7

dylanvelez
  • 42 months ago

Hi guys, I'm in the process of building a new setup. So far I've already decided and picked all the components but I'm stuck between these two motherboards.

About $240 for the MSI: https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/Z170A-MPOWER-GAMING-TITANIUM.html

About $220 for the GIGABYTE: http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5481#ov

I'm a little bit inclined for the MSI because my graphics card is going to be the MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X, so the OCD inside me tells me to have them both of the same brand.

In terms of features and quality what's the difference or which one do you consider better without taking into account branding preferences?

Edit:

Purposes of the pc are mainly hardcore gaming and some video processing and editing, software development also. My pc is mainly this: - Storage: 1 TB SSD - CPU: i7 6700K - RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3000Mhz - Graphics Card: GTX 1080 Gaming X by MSI - Case: NZXT S340 - PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 850W - No speakers (I use headsets - Sades A60)

Comments

• 42 months ago
  • 2 points

Before I can answer, what other parts will go around your build, what will you be using the PC for and what are your plans in the future for your PC in terms of upgrades?

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh sorry, I just updated the question. Check the last paragraph please

• 42 months ago
  • 2 points

The Gaming X from MSI is a black & red color. If you want a nice overall scheme, I would recommend the MSI Gaming M5 or the Gigabyte Z170X Ultra Gaming.

Both of these aren't too expensive, have solid OCing capacity as well as good sound.

If you really want to push your OC, going to something like the Asus Z170 Hero or Hero Alpha is also a good choice.

The Mpower motherboard is nice but the things that made the XPower a top motherboard were the additionnal power connectors all over its PCB to really push the OC on a CPU and one or more GPU while ensuring a stable power delivery but were all removed.

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

Well, I don't see myself OCing too much, just a little bit so I guess I'm going to pick the Gigabyte one. Thank you :)

• 42 months ago
  • 2 points
  • 42 months ago
  • 2 points

the Gigabyte GA170X is $159 after $20 MIR at newegg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128835

There are a few complaints about the audio on the Gaming 7, but it appears to be a very high-end audio with components usually found on add-on sound gards.

The Gaming 5 is the next step down and it has Realtek ALC1150 audio, and is a little less audacious looking vs the Gaming 7.

I have the GA Z97X Gaming 5 and the board is solid.

The Gigabyte Z170X Ultra Gaming has lesser grade Audio; ALC 892. I'd drop that one from the list.

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

There's no reason why u need to have both VGA and Motherboard under the same brand. Personally I stop trusting MSI when it comes to motherboards, VGA they are fine but mobos, they been very buggy the last couple of years. I made the switch to Asrock and pretty happy.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube