add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

ASUS GL502VM (ROG Strix) or MSI GS43VR (Phantom Pro)

Robotfood
  • 41 months ago

I realize that they're both in different size categories, however they're both essentially the same price and performance.

GL502VM at Newegg Canada

GS43VR at Newegg Canada

*Using Newegg for specs Canada Computers has a better price on the ASUS Laptop

I was hoping that someone could share some opinions on the MSI laptops, customer service or this laptop in particular. I had a good experience with an ASUS laptop in the past (I had an ASUS G74S that I absolutely loved even if it weighed more then my mITX rig and was the least mobile piece of mobile technology I've ever owned), however the smaller form of the Phantom (14" compared to the 15.6" ASUS) is very appealing.

One piece of information that I've been struggling to find however is in regards to the ASUS laptop and whether or not its USB C port is also Thunderbolt 3. The MSI Phantom states on the product page that is has thunderbolt, while the ASUS one has conflicting reports in reviews and on product pages everywhere, does anyone know the truth?

Also of note one of the ram sticks on the ASUS is not accessible.

Lastly, given the choice between them, which would you pick and why?

Comments

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
  • 40 months ago
  • 1 point

Aye, I did end up going with the Asus, but more from a thermals standpoint. I'd also seen some questionable benchmarks that gave me pause regarding the MSI laptop. The SSD wasn't that big an issue and I purchased from Canada Computers, which instead of the free external HDD I received Forza Horizon 3 and Watch Dogs 2 for free. (not too bad a deal in my mind, same price as newegg.ca)

[comment deleted]
  • 40 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks, I wish you luck with your build.

I tend to travel quite a bit for work so I like to have both. A battle station at home, and a lappy for the hotels... however I seem to have pretty awful luck when it comes to finding hotels with decent wifi.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube