add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Gaming Cpu cooler for i5 6600k (planning 4ghz oc)

Daveyrappy
  • 43 months ago

This is my first time building a pc. I don't want to overclock much just to get extra umph in the system. However I've hit a wall regarding a performing air cooler for long gaming sessions. I've read stories of aio coolers leaking, and i dont want that.

I added the dark rock tf because ofbsize restrictions but i camr make sense of performances with fans

My build

Any input will be appreciated

Comments

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

That fan isn't good and isn't needed so I would drop it. You have plenty of room for a tower style cooler so that cooler makes no sense to get. Also Evga cards are currently having issues with them not cooling the VRAM properly so I would get another model

For the cooler I would get a Scythe Fuma, its the best HSF/"air cooler" on the market and is cheaper than your cooler. Its better than just about all 240MM AIO coolers minus the EK Predator. As you can overclock much farther than 4Ghz unless you have really bad luck.

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for recommending the fan, i'm new ti this and i dont know if i can oc more than 4ghz total noob building pc.

I've heard rave reviews on newegg and tests on the card on youtube. Pardon but i'll stick with evga

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

i dont know if i can oc more than 4ghz total noob building pc.

Unless you get really bad luck you can go higher, most will top off around 4.6Ghz and some can do even higher than that.

I've heard rave reviews on newegg and tests on the card on youtube. Pardon but i'll stick with evga

That was before it was found out this was a issue.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/evga-gtx-1080-1070-overheating-issue/

https://www.techpowerup.com/227133/evga-gtx-1070-1080-overheating-issues-company-says-thermal-pads-a-solution

The software fix doesn't really fix it since its a physical issue with the thermal pads or the lack of them. The only way to fix it would be to take apart your new card or buy a different card.

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

There is a fix by evga where they send you a thermal panel kit to fix this debacle. Here the video guide for the kit he is using the manual, sent wih the kit to fix the heat problem.

I should be okay, given how easy this is.

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

The only way to fix it would be to take apart your new card or buy a different card.

[comment deleted]
  • 43 months ago
  • 1 point

Wait, EVGA cards? How does this go to Graphics cards?

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

The card in this part list.

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

So you are saying he should use that as the cooler for the graphics card instead?

[comment deleted]
  • 43 months ago
  • 1 point

OH ok makes more sense.

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

Like me, where I only got 4.4 GHz stable with 1.64V on water cooling. I hit 4 GHz with voltage at 1.4V btw.

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

I recommend the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO. I recommend this as it is half the price, and performs quite well. Also, if you choose to modify this cooler, it should be a LOT easier (modify, as in more fans or stuff) than the cooler you chose. Also, if the aio cooler leaks, it will be the manufacturers fault (make sure you DID NOT modify the water supply components), and you can file a claim for reimbursement for the entire systed (or components affected), so don't worry about a leak so much : >

• 43 months ago
  • 2 points

You didn't link to anything.

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

OMFG, I feel like an idiot right now. Thank you very much for catching me on that.

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

If your system is getting hot over long gaming systems, the fault is with your case cooling, and maybe not your CPU cooler.

Is the build you linked what you have? or what you are planning?

If you setup the Phantek's case correctly, even a low-end cooler will be the same after 5 mins and 5 hours.

If the temps are climbing over time, don't blame your CPU cooler, blame your case and case fans.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube