add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Graphical Problems

Aarodynamics
  • 40 months ago

This problem has been going on for a very long time, but have finally decided to take action. What is happening is at random intervals, and for no specific reason (as I can think of), my screen just changes to a bunch of lines, sometimes colored, sometimes not, sometimes just black. My speakers also sometimes output a buzzing noise for a couple seconds then stop soon after. It fixes itself 100% of the time just by rebooting, but sometimes the screen still just flickers as if it turned into a really low refresh rate.

My most common occurrences of this problem are in chrome (more so YouTube), and gaming. There seems to be no specific reason to this happening, like temps or the usage spikes or something like that.

Other Notes: - It is not a cable or monitor problem. It has done this on three completely different style monitors, and even a TV. It is also not the cable, as it has cycled between DVI, HDMI, and HDMI converted through Display Port.

What I mainly want to know is what is causing the problem or how to find that out. I'm not sure how to necessarily find out what the problem is, because it happens semi-randomly. However, is it GPU failure? Insufficient power? CPU failure? I am able to replace if necessary so that is not any worry either. If you can come up with any fixes or anything I can try that would be great as well. Here are some examples of what happens here and here. Sorry for the pictures being oriented wrong, and thank you for your time.

Comments

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

It could be caused by many things.

If it is purely a GPU issue, your PC should not freeze, that is your audio should not start repeating the last few sounds...

1. Does it happen only with a specific application (Chrome and just one game only or do you experience it with multiple games as well??)
  2. Does your computer freeze completely? Can't you just ALT-TAB or CTRL - ALT - DEL to bring up Windows's screen?
  3. Could you please post the exact specification of your PC (preferably with links to the individual components)?

This could be power issue, motherboard, memory, CPU, GPU. Literally, anything really... (Most probably not storage :P)

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

Here is my build: PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor $94.89 @ OutletPC
Motherboard Biostar TA970 ATX AM3+ Motherboard $52.98 @ Newegg
Memory Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $47.89 @ OutletPC
Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $47.33 @ OutletPC
Video Card PowerColor Radeon R9 270 2GB TurboDuo Video Card -
Case NZXT Source 210 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case $39.88 @ OutletPC
Power Supply SeaSonic S12II 520W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $54.99 @ Newegg
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $337.96
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-02 09:19 EDT-0400
  1. It is generally just chrome and any game, but probably because that are all I really use.
  2. Yes. It can not be fixed by anything other than restarting, pressing key combinations does nothing.
  3. Up there

I want to believe it is more of a graphical issue, because sometimes I can still hear my YouTube video or game running in the background, but I cannot see what is going on due to the screen being all weird colors.

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

I want to believe it is more of a graphical issue, because sometimes I can still hear my YouTube video or game running in the background, but I cannot see what is going on due to the screen being all weird colors.

Yeah, this is a telltale symptom that your system is not hanging, just you graphics output is messed up. I would recommend trying to get a different GPU and see if that works fine. Preferably do not buy a new one, but borrow one from a friend/family member/school/work wherever you can.

How often do these things happen? Does it happen on a daily base? Try to use a different GPU for a couple of days to make sure it does not happen with it if the problem normally happens every day.

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

I had the same thing happen to me on my old Dell with a Intel Quad Q6600 CPU and an (ATI Radeon HD 2600XT graphics card.

I tried to overclock it through the Catalyst Control Center and shortly after I did that, I got the exact same lines as you have.

Once I un-did the overclock, everything worked fine.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube