add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Help me choose please.

gotenxds
  • 43 months ago

Hello, I'm trying to figure out how much watt I need for this build http://pcpartpicker.com/list/4rYZ2R

Please help me, I'm a bit confused as the video card has been modified (by asus) so it's non standard and I'm not sure if i need more power for it.

Most sites tell me I need a 500W psu but I have beed burned before and I'm thinking about buying a 600-650 one, is that an overkill ?

Comments

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

A good 550W psu is more then enough. Like the EVGA 550W G2 http://pcpartpicker.com/product/qYTrxr/evga-power-supply-220g20550y1 or Corsair RM550X http://pcpartpicker.com/product/3zNypg/corsair-power-supply-cp9020090na.

I would also suggest taking a atx mobo since a micro atx looks a bit weird in a atx case (just my opinion).

• 43 months ago
  • 0 points

I agree with the EVGA model. Corsair's RM series are junk.

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

The older RM series aren't great but The RMx and RMi series are great psu's. WHo ever told you that they are junk is an idiot.

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

Nobody told me. I had three RM's burn up on me. I know they're junk firsthand. Maybe they got better and started using quality parts, who knows. I'll never use them again.

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

Thats very unlucky sorry to hear that. But the Rmx and Rmi have a different architecture then the older RM series and became alot better. But in the end its up to you to decide what to buy ;)

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

What exactly happened and which models?

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

I've primarily used Seasonic and deviated to try Corsair at one point.

I had an RM650 that powered up for a second then shutdown. RMA'd it and got a refurb which lasted about six months before it died. Replaced that with the 750 and it lasted about the same amount of time give or take before it died. Put an old Seasonic in there and that machine is still going today. I could have just been incredibly unlucky, but it was enough.

Corsair's higher tiered series psu's are good, although overpriced, but I'll stick with Seasonic and EVGA's G2/P2/T2 line.

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

I like high quality 650W PSUs. in the end, they are $10 or $20 more and step into a much better class of electronics. the EVGA G2, or Seasonic X or XFX are solid units.

comments on your build: you have a K series CPU on an H170 MoBo that won't over clock it. I would step up to a Z170 Mobo, and get a better CPU cooler like a Cryorig H7.

Also, I think I'd go with 500 GB of SATA III SSD vs 128GB of PCIe x4 speed, but that's just my opinion.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube