add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

"Plextor M8Pe 256GB PCI-E Solid State Drive and Corsair 750D ATX Full Tower Case are not compatible."

Blakefox

40 months ago

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/9ZhGJV

Im sort of new to PCpartpicker, but im not sure how theres zero cases (with a price) that would fit my setup. Is there some sort adapter or accessory I can add to make the PCI-E fit a normal bay size? Im fine getting a huge case, if necessary. Also, any other recommendations would be helpful. I tried to compare most of my picks to cpubenchmarks, reviews on newegg, and reviews on here.

thanks! Blake

Comments

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

i'm just wondering if there is a particular reason you want that specific motherboard. I'm not familiar with every difference but the other maximus viii hero (not the alpha) comes with a m.2 slot and you could just use that for the pcie ssd. PCIE card style ssd seem to be on the way out, I wouldn't go that route myself.

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

your alpha does have a m.2, it is different spot so I missed it. So why not just use the m.2 form factor for the SSD? The Samsung 950 pro is only a few bucks more, and the 960 evo 256mb out next month is cheaper at $130 msrp and faster even. (there is no 960 pro 256 mb version).

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

I thought I had read that PCIe was the fastest, followed by M2 and the Sata. Thats the only reason I picked that. It seemed alot of the SDD higher end benchmarks were PCIe or M2. I definitely dont mind spending a few more bucks, if you recommend that.

• 40 months ago
  • 2 points

M.2 is PCIE, it just plugs directly into the motherboard on a dedicated slot vs the ad-hoc card style before there was a m.2 slot available. I think it's pretty much the same effective interface just each drive will be a bit different. The plextor comes in a m.2 format as well.

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

Ill stick with M.2 then, thank you. And just to double check, m.2>sata?

• 40 months ago
  • 2 points

yes. sata is around 500mb/s where the latest nvme pcie give 2500mb/s on the samsung 950 pro and 3200 mb/s on the 960 evo out next month.

BUT, those are raw benchmarks, and most that you read people say you won't notice a 5x difference in actual use, just if you are transferring a very large file etc. which is not normal use. The 960 versions are supposed to have improved the thermal throttling which lets it get the better benchmarks. but it depends on how you use it if you will really get that.

This is the release info for the 960, but it has some nice charts comparing it to the 950 so you can see the difference. http://www.anandtech.com/show/10698/samsung-announces-960-pro-and-960-evo-m2-pcie-ssds

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

well, I guess the net says some m.2 can actually be sata drives but I've never looked at those. I found the below info, it just seems to come down to how the motherboard is designed with PCIE lanes and I have also seen other reviews talking about if the m.2 slot has dedicated lanes vs stealing lanes from the gpu which if you were doing sli might matter etc.

M.2 can be either native PCIe or SATA, but if it's a native PCIe M.2 SSD then there's no difference at all. Obviously some M.2 slots have fewer lanes, so if you put a PCIe 3 x4 SSD in a x2 M.2 slot, you will limit the max bandwidth

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

Them main reason I had picked that motherboard was the wireless functionality. But now really second guessing it, I dont think that will really ever be used. Im most likely going to change that too.

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

That Noctua NH-L9i 33.8 CFM CPU cooler isn't meant to cool anything more than 65W TDP, that i7 is 91 Watts and the cpu could overheat if pushed to hard without even overclocking.

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

What about Noctua NH-U14S 55.0 CFM CPU Cooler?

http://pcpartpicker.com/product/DMjG3C/noctua-cpu-cooler-nhu14s

Ive read some great reviews about it, keeping temps in the mid 40's C, even at high load.

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

To be honest I don's see why it wouldn't work, but PCPartPicker is really good with their compatibility check... so I'd listen to it. but then again I have the same exact case, (airflow edition) and the PCI-e would have to be massive not to fit because that case is massive. other than that everything seems pretty good. Although, personally, I would definitely go with a Corsair RM550x PSU, Longer life, very durable, whisper quiet, and looks great too :)

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

The one i linked is gold as well and also had some great reviews, it seemed. The specs looked pretty much the same as well. Is corsair just a better brand than rosewell? (ive always disliked acer, for example)

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

By far, without a doubt. (my bad about the certification, I fixed it now :P)

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

I'll take your word on that, thank you for the help!

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

Actually: http://pcpartpicker.com/product/3zNypg/corsair-power-supply-cp9020090na

or

http://pcpartpicker.com/product/CfXfrH/seasonic-power-supply-ss660xp2

This corsair isnt much more and seems to have better reviews overall. I also found one that is 80+ platinum with ok reviews, but I know nothing of that brand. What would you pick?

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

I'd still go with corsair, I put a lot of faith in them lol

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

They're compatible. Just needed a small but essential update.

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

Please don't make duplicate posts across subforums. I've deleted the other thread I'd responded to in favor of this one, since this one has had far more discussion.

Just needed to run a quick doohickey. They should show as compatible for you now.

This topic has been moved from "Systems > Part List Opinions Wanted" to "General > Request Part Additions / Corrections Here".

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

I've just been copying and pasting posts because it's easier than re-typing the whole thing since I'm giving the same recommendations to different people

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

My comment was in no way directed at you.

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

Whoops, my bad xP

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted by staff]
  • 40 months ago
  • 1 point

Hmm, weird. Thanks for the update, glad to see its not just me

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

That's really helpful for me too, lol, thanks!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube