add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Thoughts on the iPhone 7

Aarodynamics
  • 43 months ago

Recently, Apple officially released the design, specs, and what not about the iPhone 7. I personally have a Galaxy S7 so I could care less, but here are my thoughts. Remove the headphone jack. Why? just why? Sure they made wireless headphones for them, but $159 just to lose them even quicker. With the iPhone 7+ and the dual cameras, just trying to keep up with what Android has been doing for years imo.

Actually think they took a good step forward in the Apple Watch 2 however. Better hardware, includes GPS, and Pokemon Go. How can you go wrong with that? What are your guy's opinions on Apple's new lines of phones? Amazing innovations or overpriced paperweight?

Comments

• 43 months ago
  • 5 points

pass the aux cord bro ;-;

• 43 months ago
  • 2 points

Nice phone, but very impractical and useless. For anyone interested in purchasing wireless earpods that will be lost in 20 minutes, you'll be looking at $230...

The reason why I think it is useless is the performance it delivers will not be 100% used. In fact, I doubt it will barely be used at all since the OS is so well optimised. Also note that its smoothness and overall speed is maybe 5% faster visually than an iPhone 6, which really isn't worth the extra $600.

I'm still going with a Nexus 6P for my next phone, if you're locked into the apple ecosystem or do not care about money, this phone is for you :)

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted by staff]
  • 43 months ago
  • 1 point

The iPhone 7 looks pretty cool. Still am rocking my 6 that I got in 2014 and see nothing wrong with it. Dual camera is cool, I really like phones with good cameras, but everything else, just seems, well like necessities. Heck, a lot of this stuff has become so standard on Android phones, it's boring.

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

It looks ok to me I quite like the new design but the headphone jack is was I don't like. I'm personally an android guy just because of costs but my parents usually get the iPhone

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

Android has a lot more versatility price and functions wise. Taking away the headphone jack feels like a handicap rather than a pro.

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

Ya that what I thought

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

Que all the Android flagship phones of 2017 not having a headphone jack to keep up with Apple

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

I like it a lot. The 32gb base is finally a good upgrade.

My problem is with the removal of a headphone jack obviously. It would also be nice to see wireless charging come soon.

So is it no longer possible to charge while watching a video or something?

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

So is it no longer possible to charge while watching a video or something?

unless you have wireless headphones, nope

pls save us third party adapters

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

I dont get the point of making the phone thinner if the camera isnt thinner, even with the little dot it still rocks and makes easier to break the camera.

IMO and i think alot of people would agree it would be better if the phone was thicker so you could have stereo and headphone jack but also a larger batter and potentially cheaper parts due to the size requirements being lifted.

Personally if im carrying around earbuds the adapter cant hurt much.

Unless you have an Iphone 3 or lower upgrading probably isnt worth it.

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

My thoughts are pretty much summed up in this video.

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

How about this video?

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

Looks good to me. I'm liking the new colors, especially the matte black one. The new processor has a lot more power, while being even more efficient. Dual camera on the Plus is neat. Interesting that the home button isn't a button anymore, and it uses force touch instead. They finally ditched the 16gb model and bumped it to 32gb, which is great. And finally, I love ios10. I'd buy it if I didn't get the 6S last year. I am looking forward to buying the next phone though.

Then the headphone jack removal. I am for this change. 3.5mm is really old tech now, and it is about time that it is gone. I am tired of wired earbuds and headphones. And just watch all other companies follow suite and remove it too.

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

It's a iPhone, it does iPhone things. It does the same things that anyone would expect from a iPhone that every iPhone could do before. It has some cool new functions. It's innovative in the Apple-isk mind (10 steps ahead of the competition), and does what the average consumer would want.

It's a iPhone, it's always been a iPhone, and really there isn't too much to them that I haven't expected.

For a more serious response, the iPhone 7 and 7+ models are actually kind of interesting. Yeah sure, I prefer the older designs, but I see the appeal in the new ones. The whole curved appeal with the OS on the notifications along with the curved antenna bands. iOS 10, like any iOS is quick, easy to use, and in general is pretty alright even though I seem to have more and more gripes with the OS every large update. Waterproofing is nice, moving to a quad core CPU will definitely make Qualcomm and Samsung shake in their boots as Apple is known for having crazy CPU's despite the core amount, the dual cameras, while good in theory and have good function I personally hate the look of, but the photobug in me is screaming to get it. The pricing is about what you'd expect, the removal of the headphone jack to me is sin, and the jet black finish, while stellar is also something that will get tarnished VERY quickly. Overall it's a lot that Apple has put into the phone, which makes me happy enough.

Would I buy one? No. Would I use one? Not as a daily driver. I'm a happy 6+ user and I already plan on moving to the Nexus Sailfish anyway, so to me Apple products have been uninteresting to me in general. The lack of jailbreaking support is killing me, and it's getting to the point to where iOS is starting to seem unusable in my eyes, for being a person who takes the look of the OS on their phone very seriously

• 43 months ago
  • 2 points

It's innovative in the Apple-isk mind (10 steps ahead of the competition)It's innovative in the Apple-isk mind (10 steps ahead of the competition)

Ahhh, not really. Samsung, Google and a few others seem to be selling phones that are on par/better than iPhones...

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

That's missing the point. "Innovation" and being far too ahead above the competition don't reflect how well your devices sell. All I'm saying is that the iPhone 7 is a little too far in the future for now, however being Apple it will push the market to do the same and push for similar features as well as wireless earbuds

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

It doesn't have a 3.5mm jack so even if I was interested in iphones (I'm not a bit) or was looking for a new phone ( I'm not since I just got one about 2 weeks ago) it would be off of my list just due to that. I wonder who idea this was because I have a feeling its going to turn quite a few people off.

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

Good phone? Sure. Innovative? Nah, not really.

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

For those bitching about the lack of the 3.5mm jack, you sound just like the people that were upset about the removal of optical drives in laptops/macbooks. It seems silly to remove a feature, but after a while, we realize that we really shouldn't have been hanging on to this old tech for so long. Bluetooth has been out for years. The only reason that headphone manufacturers are still making headphones with the 3.5mm jack is because that's what people still have.

I personally can't wait to stop using USB 2.0 and just be using USB 3.1 and lightning ports for everything.

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

For those bitching about the lack of the 3.5mm jack, you sound just like the people that were upset about the removal of optical drives in laptops/macbooks. It seems silly to remove a feature, but after a while, we realize that we really shouldn't have been hanging on to this old tech for so long.

We're not annoyed about the removal of the feature, we're annoyed about the fact that some of us have spent $100s on decent earpods that we like and use every day. I don't want to spend another $180 on wireless earpods.

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

Is someone forcing you to purchase earpods? The phone comes with an adapter for your existing devices.

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

Considering my general usage of phones, they run out of battery very quickly because I play pokemon go and listen to music for hours on end. How am I going to charge it and listen to music at the same time? Oh wait, I can spend an extra $150 on a lightning dock.

Apple is clearly ripping people off here. To be honest, I think that they removed the headphone jack to make the new iPhone seem like it is actually different to the last one, because without the removal it is almost identical besides being slightly thinner, having better performance and a better camera.

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

For those bitching about the lack of the 3.5mm jack, you sound just like the people that were upset about the removal of optical drives in laptops/macbooks. It seems silly to remove a feature, but after a while, we realize that we really shouldn't have been hanging on to this old tech for so long.

I agree with this actually despite what I said in my comment above.

The 3.5mm jack is one of the oldest technologies that we use on a daily basis. It was going to be thrown out sooner or later.

There are already a plethora of 3rd part adapters coming out that help reduce the problem.

It it now just be a matter of time before other manufacturers "catch up"

[comment deleted]
  • 43 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks. I didn't even realize I had been devoted so much on that comment. I guess everyone is so attached to their headphone jacks.

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

It's nothing big or innovative i'll admit, but Apple took some really brave moves by removing the 3.5 mm jack. Honestly, I'm happy that they did it now and not in the complete re-design in the iPhone 8.

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

Watch as everyone has 84 adapters hanging upon their iPhone 7, lol.

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

maybe they don't want you listen to music while charging. That may cause a blast~

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
  • 43 months ago
  • 1 point

I believe it was to make room for more "useful" components.

• 43 months ago
  • 0 points

Like what?

[comment deleted]
  • 43 months ago
  • 1 point

Sure, but Android phones have had stereo speakers for years now without needing to axe the headphone jack.

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

So they can make it thinner by a few mm :^ jk

I think it's to kind of move forward from the 3.5mm. While there will be drawbacks to digital audio, it's a step in the different direction. While how they took this step is not a good idea imo (no charging while listening to music) it's overall pretty good

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

Pass-Through lightning adapter?

[comment deleted]
  • 43 months ago
  • 1 point

I've always thought you were an iOS guy.

[comment deleted]
  • 43 months ago
  • 1 point

Seems to be the overall opinion from everyone. I don't think wireless is the answer just quite yet for phones. More like a step back rather than forward.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube